Bipolar Disorder Community
How to wean off Depakote

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

How to wean off Depakote

I am on Depakote ER 100 mg daily. My psych doc said she thought I was "mildy" bipolar and didnt fit into any category. I really didnt think I was bipolar but accepter her professional opinion and she put me on 1000 mg of Depakote. My hair has thinned, gained weight, etc. However, because I did not really buy I was bipolar but maybe depressed I decided to seek a second opinion from a good psych. The second one did not believe I was bipolar. I agree with that and now want off. But, my psych wont help me get off of it. That leaves me hanging on how to do this. I am going to my regular pdoc and ask them how to do it. I have heard that switching to Lamictal is a solution ( I have a Rx for it) but do you wean the Depakote while you are on the Lamictal? And another problem is I am taking Depakote ER which you cant cut. Or can you? I know why you arent supposed to but would it really hurt to. Any help out there? I cant believe a psych could be so mean not to help me.
My primary doctor has helped me and given me explicit instructions.