Aa
A
A
Close
585414_tn?1288944902
Insomnia From Bipolar or Depression?
How Many People Experience Insomnia From Bipolar or Depression, Have Experienced It or Have It Treated in Some Way? I am asking because after over a year of 3 A.M. bedtimes part of the cause of which was obviously rapid cycling it stopped as treatment was adjusted and things have improved and I know that's common but I am wondering how common?

1. Experience Insomnia?

2. Did In the Past But Don't Now?

3. Have to Take a Sleep Aide for it?

4. Don't Experience it?
Cancel
16 Answers
Page 1 of 1
222267_tn?1253305810
I take 2 sleep aides and get about 3 hours a night.  It *****.  Sometimes I feel like a zombie during the day.  I can't even get to sleep till 4:00 am.  It 's so frustrating.  I don't know how I function and work with such little sleep.
Comment
Cancel
222267_tn?1253305810
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
933174_tn?1375796153
I suffer from insomnia when I'm depressed and when I'm manic, it doesn't matter, i've always had trouble sleeping, when i was a kid i used to have epilepsy and the seizures would come on at night when I would try to go to sleep, so maybe that is why. I do take lunesta, used to take ambien, i even used to guzzle nyquil just to fall alseep. the only time i sleep well is when i'm on a mood stabilizer, but then i sleep too much.
Comment
Cancel
933174_tn?1375796153
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
I've almost always slept so much that insomnia sounds like it would be a blessing.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
539694_tn?1434569547
It comes and goes whiskey counteracts it pretty well
Comment
Cancel
539694_tn?1434569547
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
603015_tn?1329866573
i had insomnia when i was manic without feeling tired, sometimes i would only have two hours sleep and i just wasnt tired.

when i had mixed state depression and mania i dont sleep either nut my energy levels are all over the place, makes sence i supose. this is where i am now, would give anything to just fall alseep soon after going to bed, at least i have meds that help, i take zyprexa at night for that exact reason, it has just been increased because the sleep thing was becoming a problem again.

Comment
Cancel
603015_tn?1329866573
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
952564_tn?1268372247
Having my husband around really helps with the insomnia. I used to have terrible insomnia due to "flash back" type issues of past trauma, but now I sleep better. I think because I feel a lot safer with him there. Maybe that's silly, but it is true.
Comment
Cancel
952564_tn?1268372247
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Sorry, Friend,
I put have insomnia when I should have put had and now medicated.  I am to be asleep by eleven o'clock instead of the four to six am I used to do.  Since medicated have had few overnighters and all dayers.  Once in a great while I will get one now, but the medication pretty much works in fifteen to thirty minutes.
Have a great weekend...
Sincerely,
zzzmykids
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
i thought i was  weird..i go to bed at 6am or later everyday  then up 4 hrs latewr  EVERYDAY,,but   go back to sleep  after meds...but im also sleep apnea were the bi pap  and o2....but i was like this before i got the apnea...and  sometimes i dont go to bed at all..then the next day im tired but able to do what i need to..then go to sleep at 3am after being up 26 hrs,.,...  *****... my circadian clock is all out of whack..
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
My sleep used to all  be out of whack to where I didn't have something that could be called a sleep schedule.  It was totally random.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
I am off all my meds for bipolar for about a month.  I am noticing that my sleep is becoming a problem, even with the use of sleep medication.  I go to bed at midnight, then lay there four to five hours, unable to stop my entire body from moving and my mind racing.  Eventually I get up and take Restrile and in another hour I manage to dose off.  Only to wake up anywhere from 7-10 a.m.  I seldom need to sleep during the day.  But this is a danger signal to me, as after much sleep deprivation I became suicidal.  I am also noticing that I am growing irritable more often, another symptom that I may be heading into a manic state.  I will report this today to my doctor, just in case he thinks it means anything.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
The meds I used to be one made me sleep but the combination I am on now does not. I lay awake for long periods until I give up and take a sleeping pill. It is very frustrating as my meds make me sleepy during the day but not at night.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
954814_tn?1247194728
I've always had insomnia. My mom told me when I was a baby I'd always cry as soon as I woke up, even when I was a toddler. Just wake up bawling. For most of my life I would lie in bed awake, thinking and worrying. I assumed everyone did the same.

I take a small amount of Seroquel before bed to make me drowsy enough to nod off without taking away any valuable sleep stages. Being able to sleep at night makes a world of a difference for me.
Comment
Cancel
954814_tn?1247194728
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
971877_tn?1247810667
I am 16 yrs old and I haven't been diagnost yet but my mother and sister think I am bipolar. But ain't that only for crazy people and I'm not crazy. I know I am depressed a lot. But when people have bipolar don't they sleep a lot. At first I was sleeping a whole lot, like i would stay in bed for 2 days without waking. Then recently I won't go to bed until 4-6am, and then I stay asleep until late in the afternoon. Can anyone give me some information.
Comment
Cancel
971877_tn?1247810667
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
585414_tn?1288944902
Yes insomnia or disrupted sleep can be one sign of the start of bipolar. If your life is impacted in general it would be worth speaking to a psychiatrist and discussing all this with them so they could see how they could best help you.
Comment
Cancel
585414_tn?1288944902
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
I was prescribed Seroquil which helped with my bi polar symptoms as well as the insomnia...I loved it...ask your Dr about it.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Trust me, it gets old very quickly.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
585414_tn?1288944902
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Insomnia From Bipolar or Depression?
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Bipolar Disorder Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703