Bipolar Disorder Community
Intrusive thoughts

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Intrusive thoughts

I was reading about intrusive thoughts and I started to wonder if they were normal or if they were a sign of psychosis or racing thoughts. I remember once I was walking down the street and I walked past this little boy and instantly I thought of pushing him in the road and I think of death a lot (people getting shot, stabbed, run down etc) which I mentioned in a previous forum and I'm just not sure if its normal or a sign that something could be wrong.
have you heard the terminology necessary but not sufficient. A chicken eats beans but if i eat beans i am not necessarily a chicken. So I would say most if not all BP pts have racing as well as intrusive thoughts, but not everyone having them has BP.

however if these thoughts make you not functioning i.e. can't do anything else, i.e. each time you try to concentrate on your work or do something constructive, but they constitute an obstacle which prevents you from achieving anything, then you have to take something that decreases the speed of your brain.

BP and i believe many psych illness especially OCD is because there is some kind of inflammation in our brain so when you do something can't concentrate you want to finish off you have no patience for anything like others have so the drugs are there to calm our brain down

don't worry. the more you think about it the more it will be more debilitating    
I'm bipolar and I have them
  From what I was told by one of my previous psychiatrists obsessive thoughts can mask psychotic thoughts. It would be important to discuss this with a psychiatrist so they can follow up within their clinical discretion.
I have Bi polar with psychosis / possibly schizoaffective disorder ( from what the p docs think ), and i also have intrusive racing thought's my brain never stops it's all over the place , which makes sleep very difficult and i am on plenty of med's , i don't know what to do really except keep myself active . And also i'm in a mental health rehabilitation program so i'm out doing activites each weekday .
As I reread your mail, what you have is NOT intrusive or racing thoughts which are also popular among BP patients and happen to all of us. Intrusive thoughts are usually peaceful thoughts but confusing and overlap with your thinking so that you can't move forward and can - as truly ILADVOCATE - mentioned mask sometimes psychotic thoughts.

Rather, I believe what you feel is what we call mixed states and occurs to me all the times when i reduce my antipsychotics. Right away I up my seroquel and it's gone directly. So you are thinking of revenge from someone or kill him although you don't excute it i.e. although you don't take the act but fear that why not it will occur. This is typical a characteristic of the manic depressive symptoms. you have a lot of energy yet a low mood.