Bipolar Disorder Community
Is Depakote Better Than Zyprexa?
About This Community:

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Is Depakote Better Than Zyprexa?

I'm bp, been on Zyprexa for 5 yrs off and on, gained weight of course, and know that it has tons of other side effects. But I know Depakote is not without side effects either -- like constipation, liver damager etc. What's worse? Plus, I know it causes weight gain also. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

jo anna
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
556500_tn?1222342230
one reason i switched from depkote besides the weight gain, severe hair thinning and dull being.also you will have to get blood work more frequently to make sure the depakote in within blood levels. i was only on depakote xl not the reg strength one.
the med did keep me calm. i am on lamictal and now i feel human again..  however this med (depakote)may be good for you. everyones different  (ymmv)

camille
Blank
212753_tn?1275076711
no depakote isnt better than zyprexa at least for me. I have been on zyprexa for 8 years now and I love it. I am never going to stop taking it. I did gain weight at first but I have since taken off the weight. and I am continuing to loose. through exercise diet and helathy hapbits. You can loose weight on zyprexa/ We just have to work a little harder at it.
Depakote made feel like a zombie. I hated it. I am soooo stable and normal with the zyprexa. I dont have any bad side effects and even my sex life is great. For me the zyprexa is so much better. I think depakote andlithium should be take off the market.But again thait is my opinion. There are much better meds out there than those two.
Love Venora
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Bipolar Disorder Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank