Bipolar Disorder Community
Is he bipolar?

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Is he bipolar?

My boyfriend has always had anger issues since he was a little boy.  Over the years they have become better.  But we get in stupid fights over nothing things and he just explodes.  He will be in a fine mood, and if we get into a little disagreement or theres some type of misunderstanding he can just lose it. He will get all mad and start yelling and screaming at something that should just be a simple argument.  And once he gets this mad, theres not turning him off, and its like he cant even control it himself.  Usually the only way it ends is when either he or I just walk away.  He will have time to calm down, then he will come back and say how sorry and wrong he was for getting so mad and yelling like that.  Its just that he gets so incredibly mad over stupid things that you can usually laugh off with someone else. So my question is, is this just part of his anger issues, or does he sound bipolar??  Ive looked it up but I I still dont understand all the different types, and how can you tell if it is just anger issues he has and needs anger management or is he actually bipolar.  Any Opinions...?
Or am I just over reacting...?
He probably needs anger management to learn how to control his outbursts.He doesnt sound bi polar but the only way to be sure is to have him evaluated by a psychiatrist.Good luck
Love Venora
Yeah, he sounds like he just has anger issues, not bipolar.
My advice is to get the heck out of that relationship!  I'm sorry to be so negative but I just wish someone had given me that advice. I am married to the exact replica of your boyfriend and it only gets worse and more unpredictable.  My husband and I have gone through countless marriage therapy sessions and his primary care dr finally put him on lamictil because its supposed to curb some of those angry outbursts in some people.  He's also on some other depression med.  It has helped a bit on the crazy rages but he still overreacts to and draws out simple arguments that are over the stupidest things.  It is a LONG road ahead so please tread carefully before you commit to anything with this type of person.
I also don't think he sounds bipolar.  Bipolar moods swings aren't just losing it in an argument and overreacting.  They are days, weeks, or months of either depressed or hypomanic or manic behaviour, or a combination of the two. While we can get unrealistically mad or irritated by simple things such as not getting our way, or a traffic jam when manic, that is also accompanied by several other symptoms, such as high energy, lack of need to eat or sleep, increased spending, unusual behaviour, fast talking, feelings of euphoria, jumping from idea to idea etc.

best of luck, hope he can get some help for his anger issues