Bipolar Disorder Community
Is my boyfriend bipolar?

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Is my boyfriend bipolar?

So, I have been with this guy for a few months over a year, and recently I'm starting to wonder if he is bipolar. I has been more recently that I've noticed; he has huge swings in moods. Some days its really good and he's so kind and supportive and the same person I knew him to be, but other days he can be depressed, sad or really angry. He also cannot accept blame for anything, if he starts a fight he will constantly blame the problem on me, saying it is my fault that I misinterpreted his comments, even if he lies to me. Its really hard to deal with and he doesn't open up to anyone about his feelings apart from me. And there are some days when he just completely ignores me or decides to treat me a bit like an object. I don't know what to do and if anyone has advice, that would be amazing.
Thank you.
Tags: Bipolar, Depression, boyfriend, Advice
Sounds more like an anger problem plus depression, which can naturally lend toward irritability in some people, as well as some personal immaturity (not accepting blame).  I recommend he sees a professional counselor and/or psychiatrist about these issues to address him.  If he's not even willing to do that (which he might as it will be acknowledging he has a problem), then it may be time to move on.

It sounds like there is no possibility for trust in the relationship as it is as he ignores you, treats you like an object, and lies to you.  These are personality things--not mental illness related.  If you told me he was depressed all the time, I could see the ignoring part to some degree, but that typically looks more like withdrawal.  But treating you like an object and lying?  That's him.  Can you deal with not being able to trust someone you're involved with?

There are a lot of red flags there for domestic abuse.  He has a problem, but I don't think it's bipolar.  Red flags include blaming everything on you, saying it's your fault he had to get angry (or later, had to hit you), treating you like an object/only paying attention to you when it suits him, and cycling between nasty and repentant/nice.  Please check out some domestic violence support sites/check out signs of an abusive relationship, and think about it.  I'm not there, so I can't say anything for certain, but this constellation of behaviors really worries me.
I agree with anonymouse88, 100%. I had a relationship like that. I thought I was happy, until an argument of me not doing what he wanted ended up with him in jail and me getting a restraining order on him. If you feel uncomfortable in the relationship, GET OUT.