Bipolar Disorder Community
Lamictal, Rash and Liver Toxicity

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Lamictal, Rash and Liver Toxicity

I was diagnosed Bipolar II with minor depression and was put on Lamictal teetering up 25 mg every 2 weeks with 150mg Wellbutrin (Zyban) the aim was to reach 200mg and see how I feel, by the start of the seventh week, I got tiny itchy patches on my cheeks that flaired up after I took the Lamictal… so stopped lamictal, (remained on the wellbutrin) and went on an antihistamine (Atarax) for a 2 weeks 25/50mg, did some surface (72 hour skin contact) allergy tests and came negative for Lamictal so I was put back on it, starting at 5mg and going up 5mg per week till 25mg to resume  the dosing up at 25mg bi-weekly.  However by the end of my 3rd week (15mg) I had flu symptoms (which at first I thought maybe legitimate, even though I’ve taken the flu jab early October and not feeling it had worked for me this year). To add to the flu symptoms I started having itchy patches on my cheeks, the common denominator with the last two week being that I drank more than I usually do ( up to a bottle of wine a day).

Doing a quick search on the internet told me that my symptoms were like an Acetaminophen toxicity  reaction (ie- overdosing on the liver) the only things I have been ingesting that may make these symptoms were most certainly the alcohol and the Lamictal (no pain killers containing Acetaminophen).

Can anybody help me on this one… what is starting to cause the liver toxicity symptoms? Is it the Lamictal? The alcohol, (bearing in mind I know shouldn’t be drinking) with Lamictal, but with such a low dose as 15mg?  not sure why I’m getting the tiny bumbs that itch on my cheeks even though  the allergy tests for Lamictal stated that im not allergic to it)

Any input on this subject or experiences is very much appreciated.
Am not really sure
  The best thing to do is to inform your psychiatrist as soon as possible who can check to make sure that you are not having a specific allergic reaction to the Lamictal known as Steven's Johnson Syndrome. If that is occurring they need to act right away but they would need to be the ones to diagnose it and follow up. Its probably best not to drink at all but you could ask your psychiatrist if that could be safely done in combination with any of the medications you are taking or if there is the potential of an interaction.
Thanks for getting back,I did cut alcohol out entirely. gone back to 5mg lamictal until I see my doctor. Mind you the Allergy test came back negative for Steven's Johnson, or any other allergy to Lamictal when I did that 4 weeks ago, or else I wouldnt have gone back on it. Thanks again for for your input.
You definitely need to discuss this with your doctor.  When I started lamictal I broke out in a rash across my chest and back when I got up to 200 mg.  It was the weekend so I went to the ER.  They put me on benadryl around the clock for 2 days an dropped the dose back to 150 mg. I saw my psychiatrist a few days later, at which time the rash was gone, so he left me on 150 mg and I've done fine.  That was 2 yr. ago; I'm now at 225 mg/day with no problems.  If you are drinking, you definitely should make sure you're doctor knows.  It isn't in your best interest to keep things from your doctor; he can't properly diagnose or help you if you don't come clean with him.