Bipolar Disorder Community
Lamictal causing vision problems

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Lamictal causing vision problems

A few months ago, my doctor introduced Depakote to my drug regamine, but neglected to lower my dose (500 mg) of Lamictal. As a result, i developed severe vision problems - notably double vision and lack of coordination. I noticed that when it got better and I started to walk around and do chores or write letters, it got worse again. I went off Depakote as soon as the vision problems occurred, and had to totally discontinue the Lamictal until the vision problems went away (resulting in a mixed bipolar episode). I went back on Lamictal, and soon returned to a stable state.

A few days ago, I went on a run and pushed it hard. When I stopped and took off my sunglasses, I had double vision again - I walked back - and it took nearly an hour for my vision to return to normal.

My questions are, can stress prevoke double vision in Lamictal? Is my experience with the drug interaction causing lasting effects? Could my brain chemistry now be affected permanently?
The Depakote could be the result of your issue you are having with the Lamictal as stated below. I have also provided some iformation on Lamictal stating that the side effect from can be mild or severe, temporary or permanent. I would consult your doctor imediatly seeing as that he could be the only one who could tell you if it's permanent. I'm not sure if stress could cause the Lamictal to cause this effect, but stress may be a part in the blurred vission. I wish you luck. Don't get too worried, it could be something simple. Kepp me updated as I would like to know how this medication could effect others, I have a friend who is on Lamictal, but she does not take any of the other medication that is recomended not to take with Lamictal so it's not quite the same information, but a concern none the less.

Important Safety Information about LAMICTAL

Prescription LAMICTAL Tablets are not for everyone. Most people who take LAMICTAL tolerate it well. Common side effects with LAMICTAL include dizziness, headache, blurred or double vision, lack of coordination, sleepiness, nausea, vomiting, insomnia, tremor, and rash. LAMICTAL may cause other side effects not listed here. If you develop any side effects or symptoms you are concerned about, or if you need more information, call your doctor.

Although most patients who develop a rash while receiving LAMICTAL have mild to moderate symptoms, some individuals may develop a serious skin reaction that requires hospitalization. It is not possible to predict whether a mild rash will develop into a more serious one. Rarely, deaths have been reported. These serious skin reactions are most likely to happen within the first 8 weeks of treatment with LAMICTAL. Serious skin reactions occur more often in children than in adults.

Rashes may be more likely to occur if you: take LAMICTAL in combination with valproate (brand names are Depakene (valproic acid)* and Depakote (divalproex sodium)*), take a higher starting dose of LAMICTAL than your doctor prescribed, or increase your dose of LAMICTAL faster than prescribed.

If you experience any of the following with or without a skin rash, tell your doctor immediately: hives, fever, swollen lymph glands, painful sores in the mouth or around the eyes, or swelling of lips or tongue. These symptoms may be the first signs of a serious reaction. A doctor should evaluate your condition and determine if you should continue taking LAMICTAL.

Serious blood problems or liver problems have been reported with LAMICTAL, so tell your doctor if you develop symptoms such as unusual bruising or bleeding, severe muscle pain, weakness, fatigue, yellowing of the eyes or skin, and/or frequent infections.

You should not take LAMICTAL if you had an allergic reaction to it in the past.

LAMICTAL is indicated for the maintenance treatment of bipolar I disorder to delay the time to occurrence of mood episodes (depression, mania, hypomania, mixed episodes) in adults treated for acute mood episodes with standard therapy. The effectiveness of LAMICTAL in the acute treatment of mood episodes has not been established.

What side effects are possible with Lamictal?
Many medications can cause side effects. A side effect is an unwanted response to a medication when it is taken in normal doses. Side effects can be mild or severe, temporary or permanent. The side effects listed below are not experienced by everyone who takes this medication. If you are concerned about side effects, discuss the risks and benefits of this medication with your doctor.

The following side effects have been reported by at least 1% of people taking this medication.

Contact your doctor if you experience these side effects and they are severe or bothersome. Your pharmacist may be able to advise you on managing side effects.

changes in weight
dizziness
diarrhea
difficulty sleeping
double vision
drowsiness
headache
heartburn
nausea
vomiting
weakness
Check with your doctor as soon as possible if any of the following side effects occur:

anxiety, confusion, depression, irritability, or other mood or mental changes
blurred or double vision or other changes in vision
clumsiness or unsteadiness
continuous, uncontrolled back-and-forth or rolling eye movements
dark-coloured urine
fever, chills, or sore throat
flu-like symptoms
infection
itching
memory loss
red or irritated eyes
skin rash
small red or purple spots on skin
sores, ulcers, or white spots on lips or in mouth
swelling of the hands, feet, ankles (if you are not having difficulty breathing)
signs of liver damage (yellow skin or eyes, dark urine, loss of appetite, abdominal pain, fever, and fatigue)
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur:

blistering, peeling, or loosening of the skin
chest pain
increase in seizures
signs of an allergic reaction (hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of the face, tongue, or throat)
confusion or changes in thought patterns
signs of an allergic reaction (such as difficulty breathing, hives, swelling of the face or throat)
signs of bleeding (such as easy bruising, bleeding gums, nosebleeds, vomiting blood, blood in the urine, dark tarry stools)
swelling of the hands or feet with shortness of breath
unusual muscle cramps, pain, or weakness
Some people may experience side effects other than those listed. Check with your doctor if you notice any symptom that worries you while you are taking this medication
The Depakote could be the result of your issue you are having with the Lamictal as stated below. I have also provided some information on Lamictal stating that the side effect from can be mild or severe, temporary or permanent. I would consult your doctor immediately seeing as that he could be the only one who could tell you if it's permanent. I'm not sure if stress could cause the Lamictal to cause this effect, but stress may be a part in the blurred vision. I wish you luck. Don't get too worried, it could be something simple. Keep me updated as I would like to know how this medication could effect others, I have a friend who is on Lamictal, but she does not take any of the other medication that is recommended not to take with Lamictal so it's not quite the same information, but a concern none the less.

changes in weight
dizziness
diarrhea
difficulty sleeping
double vision
drowsiness
headache
heartburn
nausea
vomiting
weakness

clumsiness or unsteadiness
dark-coloured urine
fever, chills, or sore throat
flu-like symptoms
infection
itching
memory loss
red or irritated eyes
skin rash
small red or purple spots on skin

chest pain
increase in seizures