Bipolar Disorder Community
Lamictal for Anxiety/Depression?

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Lamictal for Anxiety/Depression?

I was recently prescribed Lamictal for depression/anxiety related symptoms. My psychiatrist thought it was worth a try because it doesn't have some of the side effects like the Effexor XR I've been taking for 5 years. Effexor works for my anxiety/depression, but I don't like the sexual side effects. Lamictal, though, seems to only be approved for treating bipolar disorder and epilepsy. I have never been diagnosed with bipolar disorder nor do I have epilepsy. Is my psychiatrist really going out on a limb prescribing Lamictal for anxiety/depression?
I was put on lamictal for mania because I cannot take any of the traditional mania meds. Lamictal worked for me but I had side effects and had to stop it. Your dr is just following new medication lists. Good Luck
Lamictal is the only mood stabilizer that's worked for me. Ssri's on their own have never helped me. I do know of a couple of people that because the SSRI's haven't worked, moved over to this class of drugs. I wish more pdocs recommended them, my depression has lifted greatly, though I still get some anxiety, with almost no depression, it not as overwhelming.
I was prescribed Lamictal because I have Bipolar I.  At times, I have severe depressive episodes with my bipolar disorder.   I have taken an antidepressant for over 20 years until getting properly diagnosed as bipolar.  My pdoc told me that with the Lamictal, it should even me out so that I will be able to handle my depression.  Even though I still struggle with depression - he was right - I handle it a lot better.  Of course that could be because I am being treated correctly now by my new pdoc.

Long story short - it does help my depression by stablizing me - hopefully it will help you, too.  Will you let us know how it goes so we can see if the Lamictal is effective as a mood stabilizer (as in bipolar), as well as, depression?  

On another note, you should talk to yoru pdoc about the diagnosis to alleviate any worries.  And if you do happen to be bipolar - don't worry, it's not SO bad!

Hope it works out for you!  
Hi!  I posted pretty much the same question in the depression forum.  I was put on Lamictal 9 days ago for depression/anxiety.  I seem to be resistant to ssri's.  I've tried Zoloft and Lexapro, both caused me to feel even crazier.  I was concerned when she suggested this med, because it is for Bipolar, then I thought, does it really matter as long as I am trying to get better?  I have seen this psych nurse for 4 yrs, she is very knowledgable so I need to trust her. I have been trying to help myself for so long with yoga, acupuncture, diet, exercise, nothing helped.  I mistakenly forgot to go to God first with all of my issues.
I had a friend who was prescribed lamictal for treatment resistant depression.  He didn't like it, but everyone is different.  I take it for bipolar 2 and it helps me a lot.
I thought for years I only suffered from extreme depression with intermittent times of "normalcy/mania".  It had been tearing my life apart for years (since 1984) and I finally decided to take care of it once and for all.
My clinical therapist suggested that maybe I was suffering from Bipolar and not just the depression.  After one trip to the psych, I was immediately diagnosed with Bipolar1 and have been on Lamictal for only 2 days now.
  While I am hopeful for my future, and still scared, I think I am finally on the right track.
It's something to think about.  Let me know how things go.