Bipolar Disorder Community
Lithium and Hair Loss

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Lithium and Hair Loss

Does Lithium cause Hair Loss? I just recently started it and I was wondering if it could be the reason my hair is breaking off so bad...I'm 22 I'd rather keep my hair...
talk to your pdoc or doc or pharmacist. i also experienced some hair loss but nothing to worry about. there are certain times of year when we lose more hair than usual so it is difficult to know what the cause is. talk to your hair dresser as well. sometimes they know if it;s natural hair loss or not. hope this is of some help.
I am a hairstylist.  I take Lithium and have noticed my hair breaking off.  I pull massive amounts of hair out of my head.  On average you lose 150 hairs per day.  I take extremely good care of my hair and it's still so brittle it breaks.  Lithium  doesn't actually make the hair fall out, it just makes it so dry and brittle that it breaks off.  It really *****.  Hope that helps.  Ps.  Use a hydrating treatment on your hair everyday.  It might help a little.
She said her hair was breaking off.  Not falling out in clumps.  I'm not saying it might not be associated with her thyroid.

Have a nice day!
Ive taken lithium for 18 months now and I havent lost any hair or had any problem - my hair is just as thick and as fast growing as it has always been although it is going gray in places and I blame that on lithium (hey any ecxuse I can use to avoid getting old works for me;)  )