Bipolar Disorder Community
Lithium and pregnancy

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Lithium and pregnancy

Has anyone taken lithium while pregnant???or has anyone stoped to get pregnant and did ok???
Lithium does have warnings about not taking it when pregnant. If you think you're pregnant call your doctor right away to find out what to do. I would say call right now, don't wait.
Oh no i dont think im pregnant...But my boyfriend and I are thinking that if we do plan to stay together we want a child in the future...and i want to know how does that work with lithium and other ppls experiences..
Well, I read that it is okay to take lithium before pregnancy but you will need to make plans with your doctor during the pregnancy. I'm not sure how it works since I was never medicated during my pregnancies.
My psychiatrist said he has treated women who stayed on their lithium while pregnant and their babies had no birth defects.  
I would say to take huge precautions on this, though, and work really closely with your doctor, and research all of the potential problems that could arrise. When it comes to pregnancy my #1 concern is for the health of the baby.
I would suggest working with ur doc REALLY closely about this. In my personaly opinion (and my bf and I have discussed the same thing), I plan to go thru my pregnancy unmedicated. I wasn't on any medications with my first 2 pregnancies and I made it out of them alive, so I'm planning for no meds during the next one. My issue lies with breastfeeding. I breastfed my first 2 but stopped early with my 2nd one because I had to start ADs. I want to breastfeed my next one, but I don't think I can go that long unmedicated. I was on Zoloft while breastfeeding my daughter, but it want working so I had to switch to something I couldnt BF on.
i was on lithium in 2004 for only a short amount of time and found out i was pregnant, my doc told me to immediately stop taking lithium, that it was dangerous. i would call your doc and talk about it, what your doc thinks about it and pregnancy and possible side effects. Ultimately its your decision, if your doctor isnt concerned and you are not either than its your decision to stay on it. Or you can discuss other options before you start trying. :) Good luck!
by the way! i did ok while i was pregnant, i'm not sure how, usually hormones make me the craziest. but i was fine. i even did fine for the next 2 or so years, but i didnt ever go back on meds, because i felt fine. then i had another episode, so be sure to go on another med that is safe, or has been shown to be safe or whatever. i don't know. hard to tell with these things, since everyone is different, anyway, i'm really done now!