Bipolar Disorder Community
Lithium

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Lithium

has anyone ever been on lithium???
Yes I am on Lithium.I have been on it for a few months now. I find it helps make me less manic and less depressed but doesn't help with mixed episodes. Are you on it for bipolar disorder? How do you find it?
I am on Lithium and have been for seems like forever but obviosly its not been that long. I have been on it over a year and it does ballance me out. ayou need to have regular blood tests about every 3 months to check your levels. good luck with it, it has helped me.
My mom was on lithium for quite a while and it made her very sick and not very aware of anything. She also gained a lot of weight and was dreary all the time.
Hi Kendra,
I was on Lithium but it did not work for me.
It works very well for some people.
It is important to give it a try, it make take up to 6 weeks to start working properly, so if u just started, hang in there.

For me, I experienced tremors, my head was very foggy, I had no emotion, and was very nauseated all the time.

They switched me to lamictal and that works for me.  It depends on how your own unique body chemistry works with a med.
Lithium can be an excellent med for those it fits with.
Hugs Darlene
I am on lithium right now. More specifically lithium carbonate and it has been amazing for me. The only side effect I have had was massively increased frequency of urination but that has fallen off after a week.

Previously, I was treated for just depression with wellbutrin. It did make me less depressed but It triggered mania where I would try to go to mexico, go on a vacation in the middle of a school week, try to purchase a shotgun. It was nuts what I did. My doc gave me lithium when I told her I wanted to kill myself and I told her about several methods that I have researched that seem particularly appealing.

I feel great now. I'm taking wellbutrin+lithium and I feel like I'm cured. No mania, no depression. In fact I feel quite pleasant. I've been suffering for 10+ years and it all gets cured when I get put on lithium. I have great energy levels. I can sleep at the appropriate times. Lithium has been a life saver for me.

But I think I'm the exception. I don't know if most people would get results this good. They might even get results that are just awful.
I also forgot to add I had a massive appetite when I was depressed or manic. I would eat 3 times what other people would eat and then I would only be satisfied. Lithium has reduced my appetite. Maybe it's the result of curing the depression or it's just a side effect of lithium.

Either way, it's good for me because I need to lose weight.
thank you so much for sharing your story! i noticed to lithium helping immediately!! i actually feel normal and have energy and patience like a normal person! its a miracle drug to me!