Bipolar Disorder Community
Mania Mood Stabilizers

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Mania Mood Stabilizers

I currently on Lamictal, Neurontin, and Klonopin. However, there has been discussion of weaning off of the latter medications and adding a mood stabilizer to the mix. However, I am very sensitive to medication; Seroquel kicked me into a manic episode. Given this fact, what are some of the effective mood stabilizers for mania? What are some of your experiences with said stabilizers?
Lamictal and Neurontin actually are mood stabilizers. Klonopin is an anti-anxiety medication used as a mood stabilizer. Clinically in general the most effective mood stabilizer is lithium but each person reacts differently to each medication. Seroquel causing mania is rare. My experience with mood stabilizers was different from yours because I responded very well to Lamictal and Seroquel (which is an antipsychotic used as a mood stabilizer). What I take now is in Phase II FDA study so they are still researching it. As for mood stabilizers that are FDA approved this list might be of help to you:
http://www.psycheducation.org/depression/meds/moodstabilizers.htm
as well as this site:
http://www.psycom.net/depression.central.html
Discuss all of this with your psychiatrist and they could help you decide what the best medication is for you.
I tend to teeter towards the manic side of the disorder; not hypomania, but agitated manic phases. The Seroquel really put me in a bad place; it was strange. Plus, I have to be careful of some of the medication as my family has a history of being overweight. I gained a huge amount of weight when placed on Celexa and I couldn't lose it. So, Depakote may be out of the question.

The Lamictal works well, but the Neurontin can be hit or miss with me; I need big doses of it in order to get some benefits. Honestly, we will probably be dumping the Klonopin, I'm on a small dose, but I don't feel that it's really medically necessary. It just snows me and gets me kind of high. I don't want that; I want a state of 'normalcy', which is relative when dealing with BP. We are kind of looking into Tegretol right now.

Yes that makes sense. You might want to ask your psychiatrist about Trileptal which is basically clinically the same as Tegretol but because it has far less of a potential to cause the specific side effect that the Tegretol requires blood monitoring for, generally doesn't require blood tests and also in having less of a potential to cause that side effect is safer in general. You could speak to them about that option.
The Trileptal does seem like a better option, especially when combining it with Lamictal. We'll just have to titrate up very slowly so that I don't have to deal with the rash issues.

Plus, we are kind of befuddled at this point. I was just on Celexa initially, and that was exacerbating the BP disorder. So, we really don't know on what end of the BP scale I really fall. Since I have gotten off of the Celexa, I haven't had any mood swings, but I feel overly medicated at this point, especially with the benzo in the mix. We would really like to get down to 2 medications; Lamictal for BP depression and the other for the mania side of things. And then possibly a benzo as a PRN. But, I have Ativan and Xanax XR in the cupboard and I have taken one of the Xanax and two Ativan over the space of 6 months; all while I was still taking the Celexa.