Bipolar Disorder Community
March Madness & Seasonal Affected Disorder

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Some people have problems when winter comes around but I have problems with springtime. When the clocks move forward I spring into mania. I think they call it March Madness.Which season effects your moods the most?
My hard time is usually starting in May and then lasting through the summer. I don't do well in the heat and the bright light can bother me for some reason. I think that I actually spend less time outside in the summer and try to avoid the sunlight more. It's weird.
I definately have the 'March Madness' and I think the extra hours of sunlight really affect my body clock and I start to sleep later and wake as soon as it's light outside! I dread the winter as it has such a bad effect on my mood and I know at least 2 others that are the same, it's like SAD only I spring too high in the summer!
My last two big episodes have happened in March, was recently tested and found that I have a vitamin D deficiency.  I think the first episode which was Manic burned me out of Vitamin D and this year when I came around I got so depressed.  The first one I was taking Endep which launched me into mania for 4 months, talk about a way to find out your bipolar.  Pain in the arse