Bipolar Disorder Community
Medication
About This Community:

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Medication

What are some of the medications usually prescribed for bipolar disorder?? I've been taking Trileptal 300mg and Lexapro 10mg for over six years now and I did well for a while but about seven months ago started loosing my grip on the situation again. Please reply!
7 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
3236191_tn?1355144215
Anticonvulsants, antipsychotics, antidepressants, mood stabilizers, sleep aids, etc.
Blank
Talk to you doctor about  a specific medication to try. He/she will have recommendations for you.
Blank
2010625_tn?1329375656
Trileptal is an anticonvulsant (used as a mood stabilizer for bipolar), and Lexapro is an antidepressant called an SSRI (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor). If you are having problems with mania you might want to talk to your doctor about adding an antipsychotic. There are so many too many to list and there can be so many different combinations too. You should talk to your doctor about the specific symptoms you are having...how specifically you are "loosing your grip" so that your doctor can know which medication to increase,change, or add.
Blank
hi i take lexapro too, but also take seroquel and seroquel xr as mood stabilizer
Blank
2010625_tn?1329375656
Seroquel is an antipsychotic.
Blank
I've taken about everything on the market; clozapine is working well.  It's difficult though because labwork has to be done weekly for a year then bi-weekly if the blood levels are acceptable.  Your weekly labwork has to have acceptable levels in order to get the med, so you have to plan your life around the protocol.
Blank
yes seroquel is an antipsychotic but it is also used as a mood stablizer quite often
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Bipolar Disorder Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...