Medications for delusions
We are very new to this, but my question is my loved one has been on Depakote and Risperdal for 8 days now and the mood stabilizer seems to be working great, completely stable in moods but still in the hospital. My concern is that the delusions are still there and even getting worse. Could it be the confinement or is there another medication to address this. What is the Risperdal supposed to address. Are there medications available to address the delusions?
Risperdal is an antipsychotic so things should improve. If things are worsening though the psychiatrist should know about it. Perhaps its an interaction with the Depakoate or some other factor. Hard to say. It does take a while for medications to build up to a proper blood level but if they are worsening then that's of concern and should be brought to the psychiatrist's attention. They will know what to do from there.
Also it takes at least 2 weeks for many medications to take full effect, it seems. But, as iladvocate says, if there is no improvement or things seem worse contact the doctor, or just to ease your own concerns I would say contact the doctor.
Risperdal could be causing side effects.It caused a lot of side effects in me and when I got better I had my Pdoc taper it to 0.5 mg and will soon stop it.