Bipolar Disorder Community
Meds & Migraines

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Meds & Migraines

I am so desperate for help with an ongoing problem that I cannot get relief for.  I was diagnosed in 1997 for Bipolar Disorder 2  with panic/anxiety also.  However I have been suffering from migraines since I was 17.   My actual problem is the medication Parnate (MAOI) I have been taking for the last 6 or 7 years.  Due to all the restrictions and my reactions with other medications I cannot find a medication that will help with the migraines that leave me wishing for death.  My other medications are Lithium 450mg twice a day, Parnate 30 mg per day, Clonazepam 1mg twice a day, Inderal 20 mg once a day, Seroquel 100mg at night and then I have Xanax 1mg for breakthrough attacks that I take only when needed.  I know my doses are low compared to most people but my tolerance is low and this cocktail keeps me pretty even-keeled.  My neurologist has tried many tests and is limited to minimal pain and my psychiatrist is not giving me much help.

Thank you
Well this is really a medical question and due to the interactions with MAO inhibitors best addressed to a professional. I know that Topomax (topamax) works on migraines but you could ask if they interact. I know that the MAOI inhibitor Ensam does not have interactions if you take the newly available patch form but I don't know if they've considered that. We have some webpages linked up for information. You could find out more there and then speak to your psychiatrist about it.
Thank you for the help but I have tried the Ensam but I had reactions to it and had to stop.  Unfortunately for me I have a low tolerance issue when it comes to many medications.  It took years of trying different medicines to get where I am now.  I am considering coming off the Parnate if there is an alternative that will be or can be as effective.  I will try to get a post on the doctors website for any other suggestions since I am coming to a dead end with my current doctor....and yes I am looking for psychiatrists that specialize in my disorders.  I truly thank you for the information and will look into the Topomax (topamax).

Thank you once again.....
Hi. I take migraine medicine to get rid of headaches and give me a boost of energy since it has caffeine. The problem is it works good but even though I eat something before I take it, about an hour or so later I am nauseous. Why does this happen if I eat like it says. Does anyone have any insight into this. Thanks