Bipolar Disorder Community
Metformin

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Metformin

My psychiatrist put me back on half of a 2.5mg dose of Olanzapine daily, and along with it has advised me to take 500mg of Metformin three times daily. I was only taking the Metformin twice daily, but because I have gained a few pounds, my doctor  thought it I should take more. I'm not sure if it's just a coincidence that since taking three I have had a persistent headache, have been generally sick to my stomach, and just not feeling well. I know it's also flu season, so I'm not sure if maybe I have a mild form of the flu and it just so happens that I upped my Metformin dose at the same time. Since not feeling well, I have dropped a couple pounds: my appetite has gone from being increased to drastically decreased (it doesn't help that any time I eat my stomach feels worse). I also think these pounds are fairly superficial since I have also been on my period and my weight tends to spike at the beginning then fall once it's over. I'm not sure if I'm really making any sense.. my concentration is really low and so is my energy.
  Metformim is a medication used to control or prevent the onset of diabetes and/or regulate blood sugar and this is how it helps with these potential side effects of Zyprexa but you could discuss the specifics with your psychiatrist. What you describe are potential side effects of concern from Metformim so you should inform your psychiatrist. Zyprexa out of all the antipsychotics is the most likely to cause weight gain and diabetes so if this cannot be helped through other means you could discuss other available options with your psychiatrist and they could adjust and/or change your medication as needed.
I have to agree.  I've taken Metformin for several years for my Diabetes and have had stomach issues every once in a while.  I've also taken Zyprexa, which added pounds for me.  
I took zyprexa for 4 years, gained 50lbs while taking it and developed sugar metabolism problems. After I quit zyprexa, my general doctor, prescribed metformin, which helped me lose the additional weight. But it seems that the sugar metabolism problems are here to stay.
When I look back, I wished I was given other options to Zyprexa. In my case the benefits were not worth the side effects.
I am not a doctor, but I do think your headaches and other symptoms are drug related. I am trying to be as med free as possible.
Ask your doctor for other options