Bipolar Disorder Community
"Mid Life Crisis" Experiencing Sudden Changes When Becoming O...

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

"Mid Life Crisis" Experiencing Sudden Changes When Becoming Older,How to Cope?

I've gotten to a point in my life where I can look back on my past and realize that I have to get my life together and get things in order. Also I am of an age where I now have to think about responsibilities in general and other people in a way I didn't before. I have had episodes of depression as well. I was for a long time blocking out emotions and thinking that I could approach any concerns in my life in a fact based manner but I can see its not so simple.
  I have seen this happen to other people and its complex because you feel what you now have to look forward to is becoming older and you dont really think about this until you reach a certain age. I have discused treatment follows ups with my psychiatrist. However I also realize that what I am going through has healthier coping solutions. Has anyone experienced this? How did you adjust.
Hi ILADVOCATE

Every now and then, people question the purpose of their living, their lifestyle, their emotions, ups and downs etc... if they have achieved what they strived for, etc...etc...etc...

I feel that nobody is ever satisfied. The ones who gained money felt not enough, the ones who achieved success in their career also felt not enough and this is the main trait of our times. We see big actors commit suicide yet they are in the middle of their success road.

It's very unwise to look back or regret or to put upon ones shoulders a responsibility more than life itself can offer you or sustain. In my view the purpose of life is just to live. I don't mean to live like a pig or without feelings but I mean to be able to get going and that is the trick. True there will be many bends and turns in the road but the trick is to get going still. All of us will experience the same end whether rich or poor, happy or sad. I myself decided to live day by day because what makes me turn ill is to think over and over about my future and try to envision how am i going to do after my parents die say, etc.. what jobs I shall have.... I learned not to think about this anymore and just to be able to survive myself. I found asylum in books, more knowledge about my illness to try to cope and to survive. Our illness I discovered is not all chemistry because with the regular dose of meds different feelings and behaviors occur.

My advise to you is not to think hard about what you feel now and leave it for a while aside and you will find that all what you think about right now will subside automatically. Believe me you will NOT be able - not because of the schizoaffective disorder of course - but generally speaking to change the universe. We are a simple and small nothings in this big system and as a believer myself, everyone has a task to do. You have been helpful to everybody here and this I consider a success on its own. If the Admin of this forum wants to consider someone who has been the most considerate person in this forum then it must be YOU and mostly YOU .

Don't look back or forward my friend. Just keep going. Realistically evaluate your accomplishments and don't make big decisions.

Stay in control and don't let a short period of self-doubt disturbs you. You will be fine. I am sure everybody in this forum appreciates your help and some surely must envy you because of your ability to help others though you have problems yourself, and that is what Jesus Christ asked us to do. Don't fear the storms of life because these fears are under his control and parts of of his plan for our lives. AND above all they are always of a limited duration.

Cheer up my friend and forget about it.
Ezz
Hi ILADVOCATE

Cheer up my friend and forget about it.
Ezz
Thanks. Appreciated. Am working with my family to address some long term issues and also trying to get back into life and just enjoy things.