Bipolar Disorder Community
Munchausen syndrome

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Munchausen syndrome

Is Munchausen syndrome (NOT by proxy but of self) a part of being bipolar? If people who are bipolar tend to "make up" stories & situations, would it be possible to create a medical problem? If so, any suggestions on how to approach the individual? if a false medical condition exists, & there is no doctor to consult with, what's an approach to use in order to help this individual?
That would basically be hypochondria.  Right?  Anybody can have that.  I had a grandmother who was the worst hypochondriact I've ever known and she had nothing like bipolar.  It was all just for attention, which is what I think it really is all about.
I have munchausen, and it's just because of the way I grew up, I'm 15 and so far, it's just stressing me out. And that makes me have more abcent seizures (that no one knows about. What should I do?
please help. this is important
Munchausen's isn't hypochondria.  With hypochondria, people genuinely believe they're sick or that something's wrong.  It may be partially for attention, but it's overreaction to something they think is really there.  With Munchausen's, people fabricate illnesses, often to get attention.  This can range from lying about symptoms to deliberately wounding oneself (e.g., putting acid on the skin to make it look like you have a nasty skin disease).  When it's by proxy, you're making someone else sick, like in the 6th Sense, with the girl whose mother was giving her ipecac to keep her ill (and accidentally killed her with it).

OP: I have not heard of Munchausen's being a symptom of bipolar disorder.  I'm sure one could have both, but I don't think they're linked.  Where are you getting the idea of bipolar people making up stories and situations?  With any case of suspected malingering, you still have to rule out physical causes, because you really don't want to accuse someone who really does have a problem of making it up, both because it's hurtful and because they won't get treatment for their problem.

Aussygirl, can you elaborate?  How do you know you have Munchausen's?  If you have a seizure disorder and it's getting worse, you need to see your neurologist and probably get an EEG and a medication adjustment.