Bipolar Disorder Community
Music

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Music

I find that when I listent to a certain kind of music my mood changes with it. For example if I start listening to loud head banging music I usually get angry and depressed but when im listening to pop and like music ilke that I become very loving and joyful. Does this happen to anyone else?
I thought I was the only one,I have actually thrown several cd's out the window that i liked b/c of it.  The different types of music seem to be able to change my mood as fast as i change the song. Strange huh?
im just the opposite then that..but i read that music helps you not think so much on things for a short time witch helps relive symptoms..keep listing..james
This is very common in sesitive people!  for sure.

Are you very artistic?
Im the same i some ways as certain music changes my moods but I also use music to calm me and manage anxiety - music can be very useful for relaxation therapy.

I dont have the extreme reaction you get to loud music thank god as I am a serious iron maiden nut :) But nothing is better for calming me than classical, beethoven, mozart, bach and stravinsky seem to be perfect for times I am stressed.
Yes, I know what you mean. I am a very musical person and love all types of music, but I have to be careful what I listen to because I get really in it emotionally and it can cause my mood to change very quickly. I love music though a lot even though it sometimes causes trouble.
Im the same but the opposite to you pop, rap and RnB music drive me nuts and irritate the living f*ck out of me. But when im listening to screaming hardcore punk or violent thrash metal i feel calm and relaxed and my mood improves i swear its sent me manic inside before
Okayim glad im not the only one!
Thanks you guys!
I make music.  Send me a message if you hear music in your head- I might be able to make something out of it and possibly offer pay if I get it to the right artists/show.  Maybe this will help to "release" it and turn it into smoe beautiful.