Bipolar Disorder Community
Neurontin (Gabapentin)

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Neurontin (Gabapentin)

I just met with a new psychiatrist 2 days ago.  I have rapid cycling bipolar as well as post traumatic stress disorder.  He has me on Xanax for anxiety, Zoloft and Neurontin for mood stabilizer.  Can anyone tell me what they think of Neurontin and if it words?  I am very intrigued to know if I am on a good medicine or if this isn't good.  I don't go back to him for 3 weeks.
Neurontin is a bit of an odd one for mood. The Zoloft is a bad idea for rapid cycling. They've pretty much proven that antidepressants are a bad idea for rapid cycling bipolar. Just do a google search on antidepressants and rapid cycling. I was ultra rapid cycling taking an antipsychotic, lamotrigine, and wellbutrin. I only started getting better when I did the research on antidepressants and insisted that I no longer take them.

Very odd medication choices. I've taken neurontin but it was for pain related issues not mood. Have you been unable to take standard medication like lamotrigine, lithium, or diprovalex? Again if you google neurontin and bipolar the scientific articles aren't very positive.

But whatever you do don't go off your medication until you talk to the psychiatrist. They may have reasons for putting you on these medications that I don't know about. I do know that rapid cycling bipolar is really hard to treat so if you've tried other drugs with no success he may be trying anything in the arsenal.

I would however really really question the the SSRI. They are bad news for people with rapid cycling bipolar. To the point that it would make me wonder if my psychiatrist knew what they were talking about. Maybe if you were really seriously suicidally depressed, but if you are bouncing around the mood cycle - may be the culprit.
Medications work differently for everyone. First off zoloft is an ssri  which doesn't help cycling. The only thing that seems to keep me in check is seroquel. I'm sure your pdoc has reason to prescribe neurontin but I had the most manic outbreak when I took it years ago. I've heard its great for pain & sometimes prescribed for cycling. I hope you have a better experience!

neurontin is an old drug very well suited for anxiety. the reason why pdocs don't recommend it is because it's a weak mood stabilizer NO MORE. Yet I know people who reported that they find it extremely good. Besides one of the few if not the only one with almost no serious side effects.

Another reason why the company doesn't commercialise it agressively like the rest of the meds is that there was this old scandal when it announced thart it works for BP without taking the consent of the FDA. This is why the drug is used widely as for pain. But for someone who wishes to try it for anxiety it's in my view the best.

BP is mainly a fluctuation in the dopamine (this is why cycling) in addition to a deficiency in the GABA. This is why gabapentin works on GABA

good luck
Seems like the definition of rapid cycling bi polar would allow many bi polar people to fit that category. I am manic bi polar myself and i cant tell you much about neurontin but it must be better than xanax because i can pop 6 or 8 xanax and it wont even slightly slow me down. I have had a lot of luck with a drug called symbyax. Its a good drug if you got good insurance but too expensive if you dont. It finally got too weak for me though and i just quit medication. I have a hugely enlarged hyper thyroid thats putting my bi polar into over drive and thier giving me depakote for it but its taking 2 to 3 pills a day to keep me calm. I have yet to encounter any pill that keeps me from destructive or violent outbursts when someone or something pisses me off. Giving me anti depressants only enrages me, its like throwing fuel on the fire, im not a big beleiver in anti depressants but symbyax does mix prozac with zyprexa. Zyprexa is a wonderful drug.