Bipolar Disorder Community
No sex drive

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

No sex drive

I take 800mg of lithium and 60mg of citalpram a day and i have no sex drive i havent had the desire to have sex for months
does anyone else have this problem
I have the same problem but i am on 300mcg of limtical (sp) and getting put on lithium - how is that drug do you do well does it mess with your system cause sleeping issue sorry so many questions - i can't seem to bring my self to even think about sex and i really don't care to have it right now sad i know
see if yall can off the lithium. there are so many better meds than it. Plus it damages your thryoid. I take ciltalpram(celexa) and zyprexa and this combo has been great for my sex life.I am nice and stable and sex is better than ever. talk to your docs and get something else.
Love Venora
lithium is ok its stop the mania i havent experienced mania for over a year now, my depression isnt as bad. (My depression has always been worse than my mania)but i still get depressed more often now but not as bad than i did before  im usually off work about 3 times a year maybe for 2weeks or a month at a time, I also experience anxiety which i didnt before i really dont know if lithium is the best for me?
I also have an underactive thryoid since taking lithuim and the pounds keep piling on
i already have a thryoid. problem and have for 10 years i have hypo and that is the one that makes you gain weight - i don't want to have to deal with this as well as my manic stages
Lithium messes up the thyroid, when it's messed up it causes weight gain.

Anti depressants kill sex drive.  A lot of mood stabilizers have an anti depressant type of chemical in them.

So for 2 reasons I would get off the Lithium.  Thyroid and sex drive problems.

Most important is to have blood tests run to see how much your thyroid is messed up and go from there.  You will prob. need meds to straighten that out.
i take med for thyorid already so what do you think?
TO Kris

Be sure to tell your Pdoc about your existing thyroid problem.  It should show up in the blood work anyhow.  But knowing about it before hand s/he might consider another med for you or you can refuse the Lithium if you are not comfortable taking it and tell them you want to try something else.  Remember it's your body.
My boyfriend just came out of a depression...he is on meds and using other drugs which I just found out....he has no interest in being intimate with me...is it the combination of drugs?
Most likely.
42 Old man.Had cute Girlfriend .No drive. Hardly works.Has gooton worse ober past few years been on lithium for years .
I take 1450mg of Lithium a day and my sex drive is still very high.  I am 33 and wondering if I am going through my peak?? hmm......  I do not think Lithium effects the sex drive.  I could be wrong, but I have had no major side effects from it, just a little shakey (shaky) in the beginning!  Hope this helps.
Oh, no weight gain either, and I have been on it for over a year.  I did gain some from deep depression, but as soon as I was put on the wellbutrin it is dropping off at a nice rate!!  
I was wondering if lithium carbonate can increase your sex drive and cause strong urges of wanting to have sex, sexual desires?
Yes, Lithium can cause an inability to orgasm.  I complained about it to my doctor once and he asked "Would you rather have sex or be in the hospital?"  I said, "I'd rather have the sex".  I was on it for a year, it was one of the worst years of my life.  Instead of taking away suicidal thoughts, it gave me suicidal thoughts.  I'm on Seroquel now and it doesn't affect sexual desire.    
Im 29 y old female and have been taking lithium fir approx 3 1/2 years now. I have noticed weight gain however my sex drive never decresed. If any at some point if i was under duress or feeling stressed i feel my sex druve is increased. This is weird to me because normal is if your mad you dont want to do it. Who know always something.
I am hypothyroid and have not gained weight maybe because I am on thyroid med. it's been 5 yrs now. As for Lithium, I could not live without it because it helps so much. It did not make me gain weight either. It's been about 3-4 yrs. some other types of meds like Depokote certainly did. As for sex drive. I haven't had one since I started these Bipolar Meds 6 yrs ago. I have tried a boat load. None of them changed my sex drive. It is non existent which makes it a big problem when your married. Dr's don't have a solution. I guess the scientist making the drugs forgot about that component. For me, no matter what the drug, the med obviously shuts that part of my brain down. Hopefully they will eventually come up with something to help us.

Just remember, we are all diff and respond to meds diff. One can't blame a particular drug for effecting this that and the other. What works for you might not work for me. That goes for the side effects too. I wish those of us who need it much luck in this non existent sex quest.