Nutritional Therapy as Bipolar Treatment???
I'm doing a personal project (that I will also be using for school, but all responses will be kept anonymous) to see if I can get comparable bipolar treatment results (comparable to my medication) from cutting sugar and simple carbs out of my diet. This "sugar detox" is also supposed to help with some of my physiological symptoms (icky digestion, recurring yeast infections, fatigue). I would love it if I could get some input from anyone who has tried nutritional therapy, special diets, or natural supplements as a part of or an entire alternative to traditional treatment. Anything related to the supposed mood-stabilizing effects of a no/low sugar and/or simple carb. diet would be especially helpful, but anything related to nutritional changes affecting Bipolar disorder symptoms is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Have you talked to your pdoc about this? I have seen no evidence (research studies not testimonials)  that nutritional therapy is a viable option instead of medication. The only thing I've seen is websites and businesses trying to get me to buy their products or testimonials from people without much other evidence. Any treatment will have a placebo effect of up to 30% at first, but then it doesn't hold. Depending on how serious your bipolar is - you may be setting yourself up for one heck of a fall. And I do a lot of research on bipolar. I am not just saying this without having looked.

That being said a 'sugar detox' is a good idea. Maybe to do in combination with your meds to see if there is marked improvement. If you really improve, then go off your meds by weaning yourself off slowly.

I would seriously reconsider your personal project. Unless you have a mild case of bipolar 2. Then maybe you are low enough risk to consider something like this.

Lots of good sense there.
Thank you. I decided to do the sugar detox without going off my meds, and I do have the permission of my doctors. So far it hasn't done much. Thanks for your input. :)