Bipolar Disorder Community
Odd Effects of Wellbutrin

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Odd Effects of Wellbutrin

Hello there, I've recently started on Welbutrin (forgot dosage, but it's small) and I've had some surprising effects.
First off, I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder a year ago and ADD about two months ago. I take lamictal 300mg along with the welbutrin. The welbutrin was prescribed to treat my ADD. Not long after starting I experienced this great emotional change. I realized that I was just not having "extreme" emotions anymore. I haven't felt like this since...ever. I just don't know why an anti-depressant helped with the bipolar disorder. I'll ask my doctor during our next appointment but I was curious if anyone had any ideas. I hope I can stop the lamictal which I find useless.
ALSO, has anyone found a way to make med-caused nausea go away? I've only been on welbutrin for a week and am unsure if this will go away. I really love the effects otherwise, though. I don't want this stability to go away.
Some people with bipolar don't respond to one mood stabilizer alone and an adjunct is needed. If the depressive aspect of bipolar specifically isn't treated sometime an anti-depressent is added. However an anti-depressent by itself would not treat the manic aspects of bipolar and could potentially worsen it so you would need to stay on a full mood stabilizer as well (which is what Lamictal is). if you have any concerns about side effects speak to your psychiatrist but as per nausea sometimes that can go away in time and there are with some medications coated versions or extended release versions that can be of help with this and if not sometimes (you could ask about this) taking it with food can help mitigate this effect.
Everyone is so differnet!  I can't take Welbutrin.  I am currently on Lamictal and Prozac and doing okay...not great but okay.  I believe the Lamictal is a maintainence drug for  mood swings and it contains a antidpressant.  My bipolar leans more to depression than mania and I have to be on a antidpressant.  When beginning a new antidepressant I tend to get mania for a short time but seem to adjust after the first week or two.  Hey, if you are feeling good...why mess with something that's not broken!  Best of luck.
It makes sense about needing to have the medications work in tandem. I was just not fond of being on such a high dosage of a medicine with no discernible effects whatsoever. I'll see about getting the dosage decreased however. I just had a blood test done and my liver hasn't been enjoying all of these medications. Eventually I'd love to stop medications altogether but it doesn't look like it'll be happening for me.
I'll ask about the extended release version if this nausea doesn't go away on its own.
Thank you very much for your responses!