Bipolar Disorder Community
On Abilfy-How Long before it works?

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

On Abilfy-How Long before it works?

I just went back on Abilify since Geodon sent me into another world. I took it before and it worked but I gained weight so they took me off. I can't remember how long it was before it started to make a dent in my BP. I've been manic and this is the 1st time this has happened. Maybe it was the meds?
I'm scared because I'm technically not medicated until the Abilify kicks in. Anyone know from experience? I know what the literature says but just curious about anyone's 1st hand experience.
Also, can anyone reccomend any good books on living with and understanding Bipolar and mood disorders? I've read the basic books but I'm looking for something more in depth that can help me learn to cope with these episodes. They are still very bad and frightening.
Thankd in advance,
Erin
Hey!  Most medications take anywhere between 6 weeks to 2 months to really start working.  Just hang in there.  You should feel some difference after a month and it will grow stronger from that point.  There are several books out there.  I bought a book called "Bipolar Disorder, A Guide For Patients and Families".  I like it.  It has a good overview of the different levels of BP.  Here are some good websites too.  
www.nami.org   www.bipolarhelpcenter.com   www.crazymeds.org   www.moodswings.org
Thanks for the websites I'll be on them tonight!
Erin
No problem at all!  Hope you find some great info that you are looking for!
I'm on Abilify plus other Bi-Polar meds and my Psychiastrist told me that Abilify starts working almost right away it's fast acting.
momoftgkc
That's what I thought too. Last time I took it, it worked pretty quick but I'm so manic I'm afraid it won't help this time. May I ask what other meds you take because I'm so manic I think I need something to bring me down. I haven't slept more than 3 hours a night in 2 months. Can't take it anymore.
Thank you
Erin
I feel your pain.  I hate getting manic and not sleeping, it sucks!  I hope it works quickly enough for you!  Hang in there.  Try meditation, I do when I can not sleep.  I use my sound machine and it maches my breathing with the ocean wave sound.  Really helps my racing thoughts!
How can a psychiatrist diagnose bp, in just one vist? that always made me a little unconfortable, anyone out there feel the same way?
Abilify and Geodon are pretty much chemically structured  the same - so - you should be covered... My daughter has switched between the two also.  She didn't have any issues switching.
Get second opinion.  My daughter was diagnosed bipolar in one visit, I told the psych. that I didn't think she was and he dismissed me and prescribed a medicine that made her suicidal.  She was hospitalized and was not bipolar.  Please seek 2nd opinion.