Bipolar Disorder Community
PMS and Bipolar

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

PMS and Bipolar

I tend to suffer a lot right before my period. I've kept track of everything and I cry a lot, my memory problems are worse, and I shop. I am going to ask my doctor but is it possible I have something else wrong with me?
Same here, but with disturbing symptoms of psychosis as well which subside on the onset  of bleeding. It's almost as if the AP does not give as much protection during that time. By day 2 of period things are back to normal. There is a link between the lowering of hormone level just before menstruation and mood and the GP suggested that I went of the contraceptive injection / implant.
I have personally resisted so far because I have not heard very good things about it from the people I know who have tried it, and so I have battle on with the symptoms at that time rather than take it, but if things get worse I may have to review my options.
I don't know whether it means there s something else going on with you or I or whether that particular time makes us more vunerable to breakthrough symptoms. It would be interesting to hear if anyone else has this experience.
Very possible.  Stress and chemical unbalance can be a main contributor to  an episode.

I use to have terrible PMS also, my emotions were so jumbled up I couldn't think straight...did alot of crazy things and ruined alot of relationships during that time.  Oh, I am so thankful to be postmenopausal, it was like walking out of hell.  I would have taken menopausal symptoms over PMS any day.
I would definitely talk with your doctor; perhaps there is something available now to help you thru every month.  
I too have episodes about a week before my period.  Before I was diagnosed I leaned not to drink alcohol during that time because I would sometimes have very irrational episodes.  I am now on medication to stabilize my moods, but I still have trouble recognizing when PMS is affecting my thinking.  

I did have a hormone test and found out that I was low on progesterone.  That is especially common in very stressed and busy women, and contributes to fatigue and depression.  Definitely worth checking out with your doctor.
Lizmmcc27 makes a good point and hormone levels can be checked with a simple blood test.  Good idea, I think it would be worth giving up your blood for that test!.