Bipolar Disorder Community
Peri-Menopausal onset of Bi-Polar

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Peri-Menopausal onset of Bi-Polar

Has anyone heard of Peri-Menopausal onset of Bi-Polar Disorder?  No history of the disorder in my family.  I have had, however, major clinical depression and generalized anxiety disorder in the past.  Does anyone know the answer?    Thanks
Namaste,

Perimenopause, or menopause transition, is the stage of a woman's reproductive life that begins several years before menopause, when the ovaries gradually begin to produce less estrogen. It usually starts in a woman's 40s, but can start in the 30s as well.

Perimenopause lasts up until menopause, the point when the ovaries stop releasing eggs. In the last one to two years of perimenopause, this decline in estrogen accelerates. At this stage, many women experience menopausal symptoms.

The average length of perimenopause is four years, but for some women this stage may last only a few months or continue for 10 years. Perimenopause ends the first year after menopause (when a woman has gone 12 months without having her period).

Although some of the symptoms of perimenopause can mimic some of the symptoms of bipolar disorder, it is unlikely that perimenopause would precipitate a full blown disorder, such as Bipolar I or Bipolar II.

It is more likely, that any mood changes you are experiencing are the result of your premenopausal state and have nothing to do with your psychological well-being.

Having a history of major depression and GAD, however, would cause me some concern and I would recommend a trip to your psychiatrist to eliminate any psychological issues.  If any of you issues are psychological, I would bet that they originate from your depression and/or GAD, rather than any bipolar issue.

So, see your mental healthcare provider and eliminate any pyscholical issues and then you can consult with your gynecologist with this information in hand.

Michael(Jikan)

Thank you for responding.  I am indeed going to make an appt. to see a mental health provider.  My new doc is the one who suggested Bi-Polar Disorder.  I have symptoms that are indicative of MS. An MRI did show white matter lesions but, Lumbar Puncture was negative.  So essentially, she thinks it's a mood disorder causing the painful and worrisome symptoms.  I have high hopes that a psychiatrist and psychologist can shed some light on the matter.  Thank you for your consideration.    StinkyPinky