Bipolar Disorder Community
Pregnancy and Bipolar

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Pregnancy and Bipolar

I'm not pregnant, nor do I plan to be for at least another four years, but I have anxiety about the time when it comes and what I would need to do in order to make pregnacy possible. I take medications for Bipolar Disorder and none of them would be safe for a fetus, so my question Are there medications out there for women who experiance Bipolar and high anxiety who would like to become pregnant one day? Are there medications that are affordable in this genre? And are these types of medications able to be taken WHILE pregnant?

I'm a real monster when not on meds and I would want to start these meds and get them working in my system as soon as possible or at least for a couple of years before I plan to become pregnant.

Is there hope? I've talked to my psychiatrist but we never really got very far because the meds I'm on now work EXCEPTIONALLY well for me... but they would really harm a fetus and I can't really not take any meds.

HELP!!
Talk to your OB GN or he/she could have a conference call with your psychiatrist regarding the medications. They are harmful to a fetus and might be in your system a while before they are completely out if you stop them. Take Vitamins B, Vitamin C, Omega 3 for the nerves.  Your 2 doctors should be able to tell you what to do during a potential pregnancy. Also remember that Bipolar is genetic. You might want to visit a Genetic Doctor too to determine what your chances are of Bipolar being passed to your child through the Genes. Usually the risk is higher if both parents have it or if there is substance abuse in the family or other mental health diagnosis' also.

Proceed with educational knowledge first.