Bipolar Disorder Community
Propranolol indicated for diabetics?

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Propranolol indicated for diabetics?

My husband, who has Type I Diabetes, was recently diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder II. His doctor prescribed Oxcarbazepine (daily) and Propranolol to use as needed for anxiety/mania attacks--but I see Oxcarbazepine AND diabetes drugs listed in the "caution" section of interactions for Propranolol. My question is, of course, are they safe to use in combination if he is also a type I diabetic, and secondly, why didn't she prescribe a more specific anti-anxiety medication like a valium? I worry that Propranolol seems more of a blood pressure med.

Thank you,
Jennirane
You should ask your pharmacist.  They are more knowledgable than the drs on drug interactions.