Bipolar Disorder Community
Prozac Mania

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Prozac Mania

I have a question...I read that SSRI'S can be bad at times for Bipolar people. I am on prozac and have been for about 6 months....This last week I have been very manic with ALOT of paranoia and anger. Could this be the prozac or would it have happened by now?
thats it what it does to you!! if you are b.p. dont take any of them..they will make ur wost nightmares  come true..im on xanax and they wouldn't make the manic go away..when i stopped them it took about a day or to to feel calm..and i also got very angry..james
SSRI's are killers for bipolar patients.  I atempted suicide on Prozac.  They cause mania and can cause pyshcotic mania (which is as much fun as it sounds trust me).

SSRI's are up there with Ritalin as the most over prescribed drugs around and they can be killers.

Right now you are manic, thats ok, its part of the disease so dont worry OK  Jst go see your doc and talk to them about it.  It can be fixed with a med change.
I have bp and before I was diagnosed I was treated for depression. I was only taking zoloft for it and when I was going though a tough time with hubby and all I took myself of it and became manic and psychotic and woke up in hospital...
When I was in hospital they put me on anti psychotic meds and valpro and I became very very very depressed. The psychiatrist in the hospital would not prescribe me or give me any type of anti depressant as they believed I would become manic again and so on.
Anyway the depression would not go away and I made an appt to see my psychiatrist and after a a few sessions she lowered my valpro and put me back on zoloft (75mg) and this seems to be working for me...
I guess what I am trying to get at is, you need to make an appt with your psychiatrist asap and inform her of how you are feeling. Because they will be able to adjust the right dose for you and you only...

Going back, yes zoloft I believe contributed to me going manic and then for me to just take myself off it was a disaster and me believing I was perfectly fine...
and I had not seen my psychiatrist for ages, only went to my gp who prescribe it for me.... (wrong)
Make appt asap and let them know how the med is making you feel...

Take care
bp13 xxx

Thank you for your responses...it really helps.
http://psychcentral.com/news/index.php?Match=1&s=bright%20light%20therapy

Today I am also going to the local health food store to pick up two things that I am told make an enormous difference with bipolar disorder - - they are

1) magnesium oil (it's supposed to be cheap!)

2) L-Carnosine supplement , 500 mg a day (L-Carnosine was found in a clinical trial to help women with bipolar depression and truly amazing)

I was so depressed 3 weeks ago I never thought I'd get better, and wanted to die except I didn't want to leave my kids ( see photos) so if there's hope for me, there's hope for you.
Whoops, the first long half of my email above got cut off -- here it is again in its entirety:
Please take a look at the following -- it's long, and sounds a little woo woo at times, but it's what I went through with depression and bipolar and suicidal thoughts and now, after over 10 yrs. of searching, I have found some things that are truly changing my life for the better - it's amazing, which my psychiatrist actually supports.  Take care and God Bless. Dyane

------------

Here is what I am taking that totally made the difference (I started taking these things/doing this stuff after I stopped Abilify, which I had taken for 6 mos. to no avail -- I just was depressed the whole time on it, and felt like a zombie and Prozac, 6 weeks, it gave me side effects and triggered a bipolar episode too)

1)Holy Basil: 300 mg/ 2x a day

2) A Women's One Multivitamin (bought specifically because there's a B complex in there,which is supposed to help us folks with bipolar, I believe.It's also a fantastic brand and made locally here in Santa Cruz.

3) Omega 3's: 9-10 grams a day, yes,9-10 grams - and my psychiatrist Dr. A is ok with my megadosing_with omega-3's. If you are skeptical, please look at mypost in the "Alternative" section @ www.bipolarworld.org about Omega-3's. Read Dr. Stoll's excellent book_"The Omega Connection". Nordic Naturals is also based near where I live and their products have an outstanding reputation and are worth the cost.

4) An herbal sleep blend with valerian root, so I get my sleep, at night, per bottle's instructions....(the one I use can be bought at a lot of health food stores, and has extracts of fresh flowering Calif. Poppy herb, Valerian root, Passionflower, Chamomile, Lemon Balm herb, Oat seed in milky stage, whatever that means  and Orange peel. This stuff truly helps and was recommended to me by the leader of my "Moms with Bipolar" support group.

5) Essential oils used at bedtime: organic lavender, also a sleep blend

6) I'm also using my Sunbox bright light to do a ittle bit of light therapy each day, which has been found to help depressed and bipolar women *tremendously*.  A very amazing study was published only this past January, and even my psychiatrist was not aware of it.  I am a huge believer in light therapy and I feel that it prevented my bipolar disorder from activating after the birth of my first child.....since I did not use it during pregnancy #2, I became manic after her birth and then the depression descended bigtime.

7) I got acupuncture done on Monday for the first time and it totally helped.

8) I also got a special massage and "chakra" work done here: www.balancestudio.com - the owner, Melissa Stone, had terrible depression too and healed herself through alternative medicine, after taking traditional drugs that didn't help. I know chakra work sounds weird, but I swear to God it made a difference and I felt really good afterwards.

Back to the bright light therapy, I am doing bright light therapy every day for about 1/2 hour using a Sunbox (www.sunbox.com)  Bright light therapy was found to help women with bipolar dramatically.  My light was $250, but worth it.

Here is the incredibly convincing study link about bright light therapy and women w/bipolar -it's short and easy to read, take a look:

I'll be in touch again soon.  I was so depressed 3 weeks ago I never thought I'd get better, and wanted to die except I didn't want to leave my kids ( see photos) so if there's hope for me, there's hope for you.

I will check into all of that stuff, thank you so much
I found myself entering a bizarre world of Mania while taking Prozac by itself. I could go on a little more about the craziness, but to make a long story short I would definitely speak with your psychiatrist about, and even talk about getting off medication and seek alternative treatment methods. During that time I was put on Lithium, which put me right into a depression, and I think we'd all agree; we'd rather be manic than depressed.. I eventually did some research, took up healthy activities, learned what my triggers were, and went off medication with the help of my doctor; I've been 'mania' free with only slight depression that comes and goes but definitely nothing too serious, for about 3 years. Prozac can definitely trigger mania, please be very careful everyone taking this drug. I do believe seeking counseling, exercising, and adapting to a healthy life style is the best way to go. The long term effects of prescription drugs is just not worth it.