Bipolar Disorder Community
Psychic or hallucinations?

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Psychic or hallucinations?

This is a tough subject I know, but was wondering what other peoples thoughts were on this. I am very torn on the subject as my mother is severly bipolar and my aunt is a very sucessful professional psychic. I know no one has yet to distinguishes the difference between the two. Is there a difference?
  Yes that's a really complex one to answer. But it depends on the person's general background and belief systems and if the way they see things changes during what might be mood episodes and other aspects of bipolar. I and other people I know can have episodes of grandiosity, religiousity and related delusions when I am symptomatic. However if those matched the cultural background I grew up in or became a part of that would be different. Its also not known if this person is doing this to earn a living or literally believes they can read people's minds and when this started or why. It would depend on what else is happening in their lives and how they might or might not be affected.
I guess it would depend on alot of things. The whole psychic thing I think grew in popularity with the new age movement. I once came across a website which had an article about bipolar people being repressed psychics. I am not sure though what to believe. I think what makes it more difficult is that there are no physical tests for either. Physical science can neither prove or disprove either one so until then there is no one right answer I think.
I have done some research on both and have found that alot of beliefs that are popular among new age groups are simmilar to alot of psychiatric symptoms. Such as derealization which is the feeling that what is real seems to not be real. In the course in miracles it actually teaches that we are living in an illusion. Sleep paralysis is considered a sleep disorder, but some belive the spirit can leave the body during sleep. If it were posible to regain consciousness before the spirit rentered the body it could posibly cause a paralisis.
It just seems very odd to me. Maybe I am just so troubled by this because I believe I have experianced both. Believe me I wish not to be psychic or bipolar because neither has done nothing but troubled me throughout my life. I don't think precognative dreams could qualify as hallucinations. In my case I don't think believing I have had psychic experiances is a grandurous thought sinces I do not think it makes better, but merely makes me a more troubled person.
I guess it all could be a matter of perspective, spiritual beliefs, and faith. On one hand it is a bad thing on the other hand it is considered a good thing. So simmilar in discription, but opposing, and where is the line that divides them. I think it all comes down to science and faith. I am in the middle always, lol. I have no blind faith and believe that anything proven by science is subject to change. My motto in life is "Anything is possible and nothing is absolute".
Geeze no onder my brother called me a philosopher, lol.