Bipolar Disorder Community
RISPERDAL

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

RISPERDAL

Does anyone out there take Risperdal for Bipolar Disorder? I don't see hardly any mention of it around this site. Does it make you gain weight like Depakote? Does anyone out there take it for Bipolar Disorder Type 2? Any opinions or thoughts? I am currently on Lamictal and Welbutrin. I show mixed tendencies ( is that type 1 ),and my Dr gave me Risperdal for what appeard to be a manic state( I was off all meds at the time except Welbutrin which may have excaserbated my mania). My manic states don't last that long and it confuses me cause I am in somewhat of denial about my diagnosis of Bipolar Disorder which i've had for three years now. I get intense anger and irratability for no reason other than I get pissed off eaily. I read that the euporia you feel isn't supposed to be due to positve events, but I also read in the forum that peoples bipolar symptoms are aggrivated by emotions due to events ie. negativty and stress. I start to race in my mind and in speach but it feels like just one sympton and the literature suggest that they are two phenomenom. It seems to be better if I drink no caffeine but it ocurs to me to try and stay off meds because of negative exeriences with Depakote. Some times I wonder if all it is is the weirdest reactions to stimulants i've ever heard of except I crash my cars and start trouble with friends. I dont' have many of the typical symptoms. I don't have promiscous sex and I don't claim to be the president or any thing. Maybe alot of people don't either but all I can go by is what i've read so I find it difficult to put my self in a category. But I am ecouraged to agree with my doctor when Depecote did help although it made me so unmotivated that I lost my job. Also I had a bad effect in the past with Effexor which is typical for someone with Bipolar and not taking a mood stabilzer. That was when they thought I was just depressed only. I know I have been depressed a number of times even as far back as fourth grade and now when I am depressed I have physical effects from it. I also have had suicidal thoughts within the last year and have attempted suicide twice, both times I was drunk. Oh, and I have a drug and alcohol abuse past as well but I gave it up twenty years ago which when the subject of Bipolar first came up, and I trialed Lithium which I did not think helped me at the time which was supposed to be diagnostic.   I also have anxiety that is not being addressed cause I just can't see me taking some many meds. Besides I don't read much about anxiety in biploar patients. Anyways I do get confused because there some many extreme cases on this web site and I have a hard time relating. So if there is any one who does'nt think they are the President of the US please share your experince with me, Thank you guys for being there and I hope I get a reply.
Tags: help, meds
Hi, yes risperdal is used at times for Bipolar Disorder.  I can't tell you from my own personal experience but I have a friend (with Bipolar) who was prescribed it.  She was prescribed it at a time in which she was under treatment for opiate withdrawl (withdrawal), but no she didn't think she was a president or anything at the time.  Risperdal is commonly used for manic or mixed episodes.  At the time in which she was beginning the Risperdal she had been off her bipolar meds for sometime.  Not sure how long she had used it or any side effects which may have occurred (lost touch) She is currently just using lithium and doing well.  I didn't see any weight gain side effects when I googled it, and I currently work with many patients who use it and haven't seen it there either.  Good luck to you.  
I have alot of mental health issues,but I'm not pychotic or think i'm a President. I was on resperdal for at lease 5 years for bipolar 2. That drug helped me more then I realized. Since it is not one of the newer drugs, my Dr. had to take me off it because he only gets samples of the newer drugs, so I had to make a switch. I miss the reperdal. I haven't felt very good ever since the change, but I can't afford the medication. I was on a low dose, but on a little higher doses, I felt foggy in the head. My manic states are in the form of aggitation too. You doen't have to be happy to be in a manic state, or should I say hypomanic state. Hope this helps you. Jasmine (I felt so stable on resperdal)
Hi Chicharron,

I thought i would add my comments depiste it being quite an old note you added. I didn't think i was president, no, instead Jesus. Anyway, I took risperdal following an adverse effect to a antidepressants that sent me on and Manic episode which was quite horrific. The anti-depressants I took were fluoxetine (prozac), then surmontil (to help with sleep, then alongside this imipramine (used as a second line anti depressant) i later researched that was a tried and tested drug but would mean that people who have bipolar can be sent phsychotic. Needless to say i learnt the hard way that I suffer bi-polar.

Anyway, the anti depressants were stopped and i was gradually put on Risperdal for 18 months life was good, with a little hardening of the right nipple (gynochemastia). but the problem I had was once I had finished my 18 month course, I had an adverse affect called tardive dyskinesia, which is quite unpleasant, and involves lip smacking, tongue poking out, hands moving as thought I am playing the air piano/guitar. I am under the impression that I am one of (the few) unfortunate ones, this has continued for 2 nearly two years now. I am hoping it will subside but it may be around for life. I am currently looking into my personality type (ENTJ) and looking for a suitable career move in order to give myself the best chance of not ever having to take any medication again!
There are still options out there as mood stabilizers:
http://www.psycheducation.org/depression/meds/moodstabilizers.htm
Its (current) antipsychotics that can cause that long term effect (the newer generation such as the one I am on in Phase II FDA study don't, read through my posts). The wide variety of mood stabilizers don't. As for FDA approved antipsychotics if you need one Clozaril does not cause tardive dyskinesia. Tardive dyskinesia is not reversible but is treatable. The medications Zofran, the Catapres application patch and the natural remedy rhodiola (only under the supervision of a neurologist, this is in use) are lesser known but work. Standard treatments include Tetrabenzene, Aricept, Bachlophen, Requip and Mirapex. Botox shots work on focal dystonia. You should see a movement disorders specialist for treatment and ask about these options.
Have you ever heard of Julie Fast?  She is an author who has bipolar II and I learned more about this disorder and how to cope with it from her writings than I did from the doctors who diagnosed and treated me.  Check out bipolarhappens.com and the book "Get it done when you're depressed" by Julie A. Fast.

Great stuff