Bipolar Disorder Community
Ritalin

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Ritalin

I am currently taking Depakote, Cymbalta and Geodon.  After recently seeing my doctor, she thought I should try Ritalin, since I have had a hard time getting motivated.  Now I'm feeling like I don't want to stop moving; sort of scattered thoughts.  I feel like I have ADHD.  She said that the medicine is supposed to work differently on someone with BP.  I am questioning the validity of this.  I have tried so many different medicines, and nothing seems to return me to how I felt before.  I realize that I might not get back to feeling exactly that way again, but I sure would like to come close.  Has anyone taken Ritalin for BP?
have you considered changing the pdoc instead of changing the drugs. I never took ritalin to be able to help you, it seems to be a stimulant to me, for people to concentrate well i.e. removing lethargy. people take it to study before the exams long hours. However for a chronic situation, i would not take something that stirs the balance. you already take a piece of AD with a piece of AP with a piece of AC i.e. one from each set of meds. it's enough. the good pdoc i would say is the one who tries to succeed with his pt with the least amount of drugs so that if any side effect occurs he would know where from.

excuse me but nobody knows neither yourself if you may or may not return to your original state, it can happen all of a sudden and this occurred to many of us. there is no rule for BP. The French call it "folie circulaire' meaning circular madness, and this happened to me often, that i feel lost then all of a sudden it shines back. cycles of mood and energy meet then are spaced away, so don't assume a law that you will not return to your original state. I am sure you will, but WHEN no one can't tell.

about depakote, i never tried it though, but sincerely i don't know why i get offended by the name, why i don't know, it's insane i know but also the zyprexa it sounds weird, why the hell elie lilly call it this way. i accept as names drugs like abilify, seroquel, risperidone, geodon, lamictal, topamax, but why i hate names like depakote or zyprexa i know it's insane. perhaps because the last one is the strongest among antipsychotics, i am off point here i know but for depakote it gives obesity. so perhaps the lethargy is from it.

BP is a psychological disorder mostly, because under the same set of drugs you can feel differently, like meeting outside stresses, nothing to care for, or somebody to live for, an aim in your life. this helps you bear the struggle and the journey ahead.

i would say stop the ritalin, of course ask your pdoc beforehand.