Bipolar Disorder Community
SLEEP EATING ON LITHIUM??

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

SLEEP EATING ON LITHIUM??

my son was recently put on lithium after a manic episode, he is rapidly gaining weight...he says he actually gets up during the night when he is in a sleep state and raids the kitchen....and he doesn't even realize he has done this until he sees the mess left behind the next morning when he gets up...
I know a weight gain is common with lithium, but has anyone else ever raided a kitchen and had a feeding frenzy while still asleep?
he is also on seroquel but has been on that for a few years without this night feeding issue, so its definitely the lithium causing it..
I am inclined to think it is not the Lithium.  It is more likely the Seroquil.  I have been on it for a few months now and I have also been on lithium before.  I have gotten up and ate before on the Seroquil before. I have tried to fight the Seroquil before and I always lose.  If I am not laying down right after I take it, I run the risk of being hurt. I have fallen off the bed, ran into doors and door frames, broke my tail bone, al this with a lot of other painful experiences.  I love my Seroquil and couldn't function without it but some nights I have horrible nightmares and sleep walk.  I would take these side effects over the lack of stability I would have without it.

Good Luck

Larry
thx for the reply...interesting. he has been on seroq. for quite awhile without this issue, however it was upped at the same time as adding the lithium..so perhaps it is the culprit. he too bangs and bumps into things when up foraging for food, so much so that it wakes his wife up who than goes to investigate to see if he is okay, don't believe he suffers the nightmares tho........yes the price one pays for stability:(
You are right about the price for stability.  I wouldn't be off my meds now for anything....he!!, I can't be.  It is dangerous for me and everyone around.  I can say that I am on 400mg of Lamictal and 600 Seroquil and the last psychiatrist I had told me that ha had alot of success with that combination before.  However, everybody is different and the most unfortunate part of it is you have to give all the meds a chance to work before he decides to make a med change, if it is even neccessary.  Just try to notice the changes in his mood and I would advise either him coming on here and using the mood chart which can be printed out and taken to his doctor, or just journaling his symptoms,

Good Luck,

Larry