Aa
A
A
Close
Blank
Seeking doctor's opinion
I may need some medication and am not sure if I should see a PhD psychologist or an MD.  Can a PhD psychologist prescribe meds?  Do they have to work with an MD? Should I just see an MD first?

I am on high-deductible insurance and will be paying out of pocket for any expenses so I have to make sure that I do the right thing.  Don't have the funds to bounce around different doctors.

I'm not sure what my problem could be called but my boyfriend thinks I need some help, not that he is any genius.  I am not a classic bi-polar from what I've read but I sometimes react badly to things that happen. I don't just have crazy moods all of a sudden out of the blue but sometimes cannot cope with things that happen in life.  I have always been told I am "too sensitive".  

I'm really concerned about having to take medicine - the cost and side effects - but something has to change.

Thanks for any answers you may have.

Cancel
2 Answers
2 Answers
Page 1 of 1
293964 tn?1200417469
i've read that some PhD psychologists can and do prescribe Rx.  but a MD psychiatrist is a sure deal to prescribe.
Comment
Cancel
293964 tn?1200417469
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Im not sure if you guys are in the States but in Canada and I believe universally a psycholgist CANNOT prescribe meds nor diagnose bipolar. It take a medical dr...best case a psychiatrist. I cant stand them myself and would far rather deal with a councelling Psycholgist but they would only refer you to a shrink for a diagnosis and meds...  if your issue is just sensitivity maybe all you need is some cognitive behaviour therapy with a psycholgist.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Bipolar Disorder Community Resources