Bipolar Disorder Community
Seroquel Withdrawal

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Seroquel Withdrawal

I have been off seroquel for 6 days and am on my 4th day of being sick.  My body hurts so bad into my bones, have a constaint headache, cant sleep and and really nautious all day and vomiting.  I was on this medication for 3 years and was cut off cold turkey because insurance ran out.  What do I do to help myself get through this withdrawal and how long should it last?  I start college tomorrow and i'll do whatever i can to get through this and stay in school.
it just takes time and withdraw slowly . you can feel psychotic also a bit. i suppose consult your pdoc. you can't stop anything cold turkey in our illness
  Yes I had some of those side effects (sometimes called "flu like withdrawal symptoms") even when I titrated off Seroquel to another medication under psychiatric supervision. This definitely would occur discontinuing it all at once. In time they would pass but this should be done under medical supervision and whatever they are treating will return with more intensity than before due to the sudden discontinuation. The important thing is to see if you could find coverage that would pay for a psychiatrist. You might be eligible for Medicaid (and if not at any time in the future you could look up the Medicaid Buy in for Working People with Disabilities) and if you could not receive it now go to the hospital (short term you wouldn't have to be admitted) to be able to see a psychiatrist and then you could be eligible for emergency Medicaid which would transition into standard Medicaid.
You just have to wait it out unfortunately, I was on Seroquel for seven Years and stopped about A Year ago on my own accord. You will get back into a pattern eventually, I never had psychical side effects so I do not know about them didn't realize they existed but the sleeping is normal as Seroquel is good for helping with sleep