BIPOLAR DISORDER
COMMUNITY
Seroquel regular vs. Seroquel XR
by PenelopeAnn, Nov 04, 2008
I have always taken regular release Seroquel, 450mg at bedtime for a few years now. My new psych dr wants me to try Seroquel XR - extended release. I have been having problems with my anxiety disorder - panic attacks which are new, and with my moods cycling rapidly. I am not keen on taking the Xanax for anxiety, but I do when absolutely necessary. She said that some people have reported an anti-anxiety effect that carries through into the daytime when the Seroquel XR is taken at bedtime.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Seroquel XR, and specifically, how it worked compared to regular release Seroquel.
Member Comments (19)
by PenelopeAnn, Nov 04, 2008
I should add that my depressive symptoms with the rapid cycling have gotten pretty serious. I just was wondering if Seroquel XR would help with that part of the BP 1, as well.
by jimgreg, Nov 04, 2008
i was on seraquil for over 2yrs..only at 100mgs is all i could handel..it did me great..then i went to the 200mg xr,s  they are difft there with you the whole 24hrs..yes they are good for anxiety....and they can cause some anxieties in some people..i doubt it would you since ur taking 450mgs imt release..i had to get off of it 2 reason's #1 my sugar was going up..#2 my heart rate was going up to 150 BPM.....im on xanax for 3yrs everyday for pantic attacks...before that was on klonopin 12 yrs..so im addicted to benzos..on them threw my dockter..xanax is the best med for pantic...you can take them with serquil..so if you need one you will have the option!!  so ur just now experiencing  pantic?? yea thats got to be bad with rapid cycling.....ok well good luck too you  james
by jimgreg, Nov 04, 2008
on the part of serquil to help bp1 yes cuz you will be in the higer mgs i would think if ur taking 450 imt release...james
by PenelopeAnn, Nov 04, 2008
I have had social anxiety/social phobia all of my life. I have some pretty serious anxiety before and during social situations, but my anxiety was always a kind of slowly growing dread or, in the event of something unexpected, a sudden slap of anxiety. Now I am having times before social events of the anxiety hitting full force quite suddenly, throwing me completely off guard. I'm think I'm fine and then BOOM. It started with a Yoga class I am taking. On my way up the steps and on my way in the car, I had panic attacks. I almost passed out both times, and with the one in the car I thought I was dying. It was terrible. So, yes, the panic attacks are new, but anxiety is not.

The Seroquel immediate release of 450mg did give me the unpleasant side effect of feeling like my heart is going to pound out of my chest 1-2 hrs after I take it. It lasts for about 20-30mins. Maybe the extended release will help with that.
by LeftCoastChick, Nov 05, 2008
Have you throught about spreading out your dose? I find lower doses 3x a day really work. I take 50mgs morn, afternoon then 100 mgs at night.  it helps with the daily grind of anxiety, which is my major issue. I find I rarely use my ativan for breakthrough anxiety now, since my dosage has been upped. Just a thought, cheers Jane
by PenelopeAnn, Nov 06, 2008
I don't think that would work. I need the Seroquel at bedtime to put me to sleep. I don't sleep if I just take a small dose, and if I don't sleep I get manic, and when if I get manic I can get delusional. I primarily take it for its antipsychotic properties, and the fact that it puts me to sleep at night is a bonus. Sometimes, when I am even just a little manic, my dose of immediate release 450mg isn't enough to put me to sleep. Then I have to use Xanax. The idea of using it for anxiety would just be a bonus, too. I used to take Zoloft for anxiety, but I can't take it because of the bipolar. Also, I am trying to avoid being sleepy during the day. I spent several years doped up because of the medication I was on and I don't want to waste my days sleeping.
I took my first dose of Seroquel XR 500mg last night. I was taken by surprise when a sudden wave of ringing in my ears and tingling from head to toe hit me. In addition, it made me hyper instead of sleepy. Don't get that at all. I said I would give it 2 weeks, and I will, but I slept way too much today and dragged myself around when I was awake. I'm supposed to get labs drawn tomorrow and there is no way I can drive like that.
by Bear13, Nov 06, 2008
I was put on Seroquel XR and could not tolerate it... I couldn't get up in the morning, driving was iffy and I was constantly tired throughout the day.. I'm back on a regular dose of 200mg/night (I take this drug specifically because it helps me sleep, otherwise I can't sleep).  The suggestion of breaking out the dose throughout the day seems like it may be worth a try.....
by LeftCoastChick, Nov 06, 2008
Have you thought about a different med for sleep altogether? I take trazadone,which isn't a narcotic, and works very well, I have a sleep disorder, I sleep walk and have mid sleep awakening. It works 10x better then any other drug I have found. There are other options out there. best of luck to you, Jane
by PenelopeAnn, Nov 07, 2008
Ah, yes, Trazodone. It is an antidepressant. I cannot take antidepressants unless I'm looking to be manic and delusional. Trazodone is also the drug that gave me such severe peripheral edema I couldn't wear shoes and had to take a diuretic. So, no on Trazodone.

If I break the Seroquel into doses and take them in the daytime then I will be even more drowsy in the daytime than I am if I take it all at night before bed.

Ah, well, I guess I'll give it the two weeks and decide what I can and can't live with. I did have an iffy moment driving today. I thought I was OK enough, but apparently not. I'll check in at the end of two weeks.