Bipolar Disorder Community
Started Saphris 10 mg Friday

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Started Saphris 10 mg Friday

I took the drug in the evening and it wiped me out.
I felt very sedated and couldn't put two words together. My ankles really hurt too. I ate something just to keep my mind off my ankles and dranked lots of water.  My husband said I acted like I was drunk and then I slept until 9AM the next day.  I took my second dose on Saturday....no side effects.
Yes the first day of any medication a person can feel the full effect of the side effects first and it often gets better over time. Just track what's going on and if you continue to feel okay and things are stabilized then it should be alright. Best to keep in touch with your psychiatrist as that particular medication was recently approved and just started to be in use though from what I know it works similarily to Abilify so its side effect profile might be similar as well but you could look on the medication website and discuss it with your psychiatrist.
The meds are quite strange. The tabs dissolve under your tongue. The meds make your tongue numb. Second night was okay but I couldn't get back to sleep when I woke up 2am.
The third night. I felt very sleepy. My husband made an excellent dinner but I was falling asleep. It was funny with food dribbling out of my mouth. I wanted to eat my husband's stuffed cabbage but I kept nodding off! I didn't realized how stoned I was but I did sleep through the whole night. Felt fine the next day.
I'll keep tabs what happens on my fourth night.
Yes sometimes a medication that is a dissolving tablet can have an odd effect. I had that problem with Lamictal with the dissolving tabs but I was fine with the regular ones. Because dissolving tablets are absorbed very quickly the side effects can sometimes occur very quickly. If you continue to have a problem you might ask your psychiatrist about standard tablets that are swallowed. I am sure they are available that way as well.
This friday I went up to 20 mg.
Same old aching ankles and passed out when I was watching TCM channel! Good movie too.

I'm trying to schedule my dosage close to bed time in the three days.

During the day I feel fine. I don't feel like a zombie.
Got tired of zonking out with 20 mg at night. You go out like a light! I like to brush my teeth at night before I go to bed but with 20 mg of Saphris I can't. I just stagger to bed!

Changed dosage. 10 mg at 6:00 am and 10 mg at 6:00 pm....space them out so I don't snooze off.