Bipolar Disorder Community
Switching from Seroquel to Lithium

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Switching from Seroquel to Lithium

HELP!!!  I had been taking 300 mg of Seroquel for 2 years and other than the weight gain, it worked great.  However because of the expense of it, i had to stop cold turkey and starting taking 450mg of Lithium.  My head is killing me!  I can't sleep!  My head started feeling just big and disoriented, but now it just hurts from the back of my neck to my eyes.  Is this withdraws from Seroquel or side effects of Lithium.  This is terrible!
tyloray - ya gotta call your doctor.  This ain't nothing to fool around with, but it sounds like withdrawal from seroquel and it can be dangerous.  Actually, whether it's the seroquel or lithium, you're having a reaction that needs immediate attention.   Just my opinion -- you should not have stopped abruptly.  I missed a dose of seroquel and lithium due to a snowstorm and i, ahem, fed the fish for half a day.  I'm a wimp.  Seroquel is an atypical anti-psychotic, and lithium is a mood stabilizer.  Two different types of drugs, not that it makes any difference on the planet, but you may have different side effects on the lithium...once you get through the withdrawal from seroquel, if that's what you're experiencing.  I've had headaches like you have and, yeesh.