Bipolar Disorder Community
Switching from olanzapine to seroquel

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Switching from olanzapine to seroquel

I am about to switch from olanzapine to seroquel. Is it ok to just stop taking olanzapine and start taking seroquel? I am on a very low dose of olanzapine.
Tags: olanzpine
I am no Dr. but if that's what your doc said to do...it is probably fine.  If you don't feel comfortable you can always ask him/her to ween you off of the olazapine slowly.
But, seroquel is a strong drug..so, I think you will be fine.
But, again, I am no dr.
I was in the same situation about a year ago and there weren't any issues. I asked my doc about it and she said that there wouldn't be problems because they were both AP meds.
Hi, I was on olanzapine my dose was anywhere between 5mg and 12.5mg. I felt a lot better on seroquel after the transition period. I find I am not as drowsy and my appetite isn't as strong, meaning that I am not gaining as much weight. Olanzapine is good for crisis but day to day I find seroquel suits me better, hooe it goes well for you too!