Bipolar Disorder Community
Taking Seroquel/Alcohol and Liver Functioning?

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Hello, I have been taking Seroquel at 50MG for about 7 years at bedtime with .5 mg of Xanax all prescribed for Mood/Anxiety Disorder.

I wanted to ask, if I were to drink heavily (six pack) once a week, would this affect my liver functioning due to these medications, specifically Seroquel? I used to drink more, but cut it back to only once a day last few months.

Last liver test was alright, but bilirubin levels were high normal.

thank you. Just wanted to know if the fact that the dosage has been taking for a long time emant that the body has been tolerating it alright, or if it was making my liver worse and it was bad to mix any kind of alcohol?
Tags: Seroquel, Liver, Bipolar, mood, liver functioning
Hello and welcome to the forum,

I wouldn't consider a six pack a week as heavy drinking.  The knowledge that I have is that xanax and Seroquel do not have an impact on your liver. Also 50 mgs of Seroqeul is very low dose.  I am on 600.  However it looks like you have hepatitis c and you probably know you shouldn't drink because of that.  There are likely a lot of medications that effect your liver.  The only ones I know of are Tylenol and pain medicines that contain acetaminophen, but I am sure there are likely a lot more.  Anyway that is the extent of my knowledge on this and maybe someone else will have first hand experience to help you more.

Larry
i take seroquel 125mg and am concerned about my liver. any drug affects the liver. seroquel increases the triglyceredes
  There appear to be warnings about liver damage with Seroquel in combination with alcohol. The full information would be available on the medication website. It would be essential to discuss all this wth your psychiatrist as to potential health effects.  Also drinkng can make many medications less effective. It would be worthwhile to discuss this with your psychiatrist as well.
Hi there, I thought there was a class action suit against the makers of Seroquel for linking it to diabetes. I read about that 2years ago but haven't heard anything since.