Bipolar Disorder Community
Tardive Dyskinesia

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Tardive Dyskinesia

I am going to apologize in advance because this may be a lengthy post. My daughter is a recovering drug addict and has also suffered from an eating disorder and depression. Over the course of 2 years she was hospitalized 4 times and was put on various medications. Some of the medications she was on in a 26 month period were Lexapro, Trazadone, Risperdal, Celexa, Prozac and Adderal, I am sure there were more but it has been 3 years. While she was on the Risperdal she started having some involuntary movement of her jaw and would make odd sounds with her throat. The doctor was aware of this but never commented or suggested it was from the medication so I assumed it was side effect of her drug abuse. My daughter felt worse on the medication with deepening depression and her health insurance was stopped and therefore so was her medication. Her involuntary movements continued but at times were minimal . They would intensify when she was stressed but in that past 6 months have gotten much worse and is now affecting her breathing. She cannot finish a sentence without having to take 3-4 breaths as though she is short of breath. She is extremely embarrassed by this and does not want to socialize much which is difficult since she is a mother of an 18 month old son. This disorder is now affecting the baby which is killing me and her.  She finally saw a neurologist who was not worth the space he took up. He examined her for about 5 minutes ordered blood work, MRI and EEG all of which were negative. On every test it focused on her drug abuse which ended 3 1/2 years ago. It did note on her EEG that she had an involuntary movement episode that was seen during a brief video of her. When she went back for her "diagnosis" he told her he did not know what was wrong with her and to follow up with a psychiatrist. She is scheduled to see a movement disorder specialist next week so I am hopeful that he will help her. I am not familiar with any of these disorders so I am asking for help. Is it possible for symptoms of Tardive Dyskinesia to lessen at times and worsen at others? Is it possible for the involuntary movements to change and affect different areas at different times? Is it possible for the symptoms to worsen after being off of medication for so long? Is it possible to affect her breathing and will it get worse? If she has this, is there any hope for her that she will get better? I am devastated by this and I feel guilty that I trusted these doctors to take care of her, I should have done more, I should have researched more. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Yes tardive dyskinesia (which I have in advanced form) can vary because a medication that can cause it can (this is a quote from my psychiatrist) "mask it while worsening it". Tardive dyskensia as it advanced can have many variants such as tardive tourretism (where a person has tic like spasms) and in advanced form dysphagia (where a person has trouble breathing). The best thing to do is for her to go to a neurologist who is a movement disorders specialist who would understand how to specifically diagnose it and treat it. If diagnosed Clozaril is the only antipsychotic that won't cause it or worsen it. Tardive dyskinesia (except caught in its early stages) is not reversible but it is treatable and there are specific treatments that have been help as well that were used by a neurologist who was a movement disorders specialist. You could post in the neurology forum as well. For more information google "Patient Education Tardive Dyskinesia" (note as the site itself says "some of these medications are medically neccessary") or for more clinically specific information you could read the article on Emedicine and discuss that with a neurologist.
Thank you so much for responding, my daughter will see a neurologist who specializes in movement disorders on Tuesday. I am praying it is something he can treat, I will keep you updated. Thank again
Try vitamin B6 (250 mg from seeking health or P5P at 20 mg 3x/day) and magnesium citrate at 400-600 mg a day and Vitamin E at 800 mg a day.  Also give 1000 mg in divided dose. Also 50 mg zinc at least ten hours away from the vitamin B6. . She needs to avoid any supplements with copper or iron. She needs to take all sugar out of her diet. Take Prescribe Assist probiotic (earth based) at 2 pills a day for two weeks, one pill a day for one week, and two a week maintenance. Avoid all wheat products and dairy. Lots of vegetables and lean protein. Protein shakes.  She will come back into health within a few months.