Bipolar Disorder Community
Therapeutic dose of lamictal

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Therapeutic dose of lamictal

I was wondering what the therapeutic dose generally is to treat bipolar 2? I have been going to my family dr and am on 100 mg of lamictal and 300 mg well Orrin. However I am still very depressed and wondering if this is the right dose?
Hi there, I don't have any experience with Lamictal, but lots of other people on here are currently taking it.. so hopefully someone taking lamictal will answer your question.

I think the question here is, how long have you been taking the meds? If you have been taking them 2 months + then it could be that this dose is not enough to control your symptoms.. if you have been taking them for 6 weeks or less it could be that they have not reached a therapeutic dose in your blood. If you have started taking them for just a few weeks, then hang on in there.. and give it more time to work..

If you have been taking them a long time you are definitely within your rights to ask for an increase or change of meds..there isn't much point taking something that's not working for you, provided that you have given them a reasonable amount of time to get to work..
Its very annoying!
Hope you feel better soon :)
Thanks for ur response! I have been on them at least 2 months, maybe longer. I agree it is so so  frustrating. I can't seem to find meds that help with my depression :(
Well I think 2 months is enough time for you to at least feel some improvement...so I would definitely go back to the doctor!
You probably will have to step up your dosage over time.  Just be sure and let your pdoc know if you are feeling better, but not well enough.  I started out taking 100mg, then progressed to 150 to 200mg.  Then to 300mg, and now (after 2 years) am at a 400mg dosage, which I hear is about normal for a maintenance, etc., treatment.  When you hit that right dosage, you will know it.   Just be persistant in talking to your doctor and don't accept that that's just the way it is until you get to where it's manageable for you.  

My depression still is bad at times, but not like before.  It helps level things out including the mania, so it's not a cure all.  It won't cure the depression or the mania, in other words.  It will help lessen the frequency and intensity of both of them.  It helps make them manageable.  I can't imagine not taking it.  Lamictal, I believe, makes my "stability" possible.  

I hope you feel better.