Bipolar Disorder Community
Unable to Tolerate/Haven't Recovered with Current Antipsychotics

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

This applies only to antipsychotics but I know they are increasingly used for mood stabilization and certainly for people with bipolar with psychotic features. I have posted how I have recovered with glycine, a glutamate antagonist, a new form of antipsychotic that is in development in Phase II FDA study. I ended up on this medication because I was unable to tolerate all currently available antipsychotics and have advanced tardive dyskinesia. I am in no manner making reccomendations to change treatments but I am trying to get a feel for how many people have either not recovered with all currently available antipsychotics (for example, you still have psychotic thoughts) or have severe long term side effects (akathesia or dystonia which are short term movement disorders, cognitive side effects, weight gain). My specific goal that is advocating within the system and approved by my provider as well as the various researchers and officials I have spoken with is to have new antipsychotics fast tracked through the studies. But I want to show there is a pressing need. And I believe there is. But more specifics help than statistics. So if you have these issues, it would help not only you but consumer advocacy as a whole to let me know. I'll put some commmon problems people run into and you can add another if they don't cover it.
0%
 (0) 
Tried All Antipsychotics but they Don't Work for Me
0%
 (0) 
Have Tardive Dyskinesia
0%
 (0) 
Have Medication Induced Diabetes
100%
 (6) 
Short Term Side Effects/Akathesia/Weight Gain/Cognitive Blunting/Extreme Sedation
6 Members voted
What country do you reside in? What medical professionals do you have willing to back you up?   I know you need that. Just wondering.
I am in the United States. I can't state the name of my psychopharmocologist as he requsested that I not. You can read through my journal entries to see whom I provided testimony to with his consent. That included at the "Healthy Minds Across America" forum for the director of psychiatry at the hospital that developed Clozaril "with express consent and permission from my psychopharmocologist". As for the "specific study" glycine is being administered to me by my psychopharmocologist outside of the study but by no means I am suggesting anyone take it. One study that's readable can be found by the google search "Dr. Javitt, glycine". I am the first person to take it as a primary antipsychotic. The results when published in a standard psychiatric journal will be available online and I'll post information at that time on where to find it. In the controlled study its being given with an adjunct antipsychotic. However the glutamate antagonist antipsychotic in development LY2140023 is showing favorable results as a primary antipsychotic. You can look. I believe there are no cases of emergent tardive dyskinesia or diabetes and the recovery rate is actually more favorable than that of current treatment but of course it must complete Phase II studies and then enter Phase III studies which may happen next year. But as my recovery is concordant with the studies of this class of medication, things seem extremely promising so far though of course the research must finish before anything can be said that's definitive.
   I ended up on glycine because I could not tolerate all known antipsychotics including Clozaril. The point was to see how many people are in this position as there might be more grounding for further research into new classes of medications in development if there are a fair number of people who have difficulties with current treatment, either due to long term or short term side effects or recovery rate.