Bipolar Disorder Community
Uncontrollable Movement

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Uncontrollable Movement

Just a few hours ago I noticed I suddenly started developing this twitching movement I can't control on my forehead of all places.  Even when I try to tense the muscle to stop it it still twitches.  Sometimes it twitches several times in a row.  It happens several times a minute and sometimes it makes my eyebrow jerk down like I'm mad or something or sometimes it's upward.  Is this something I should be concerned about enough to bother a nurse or doctor at the centers for mental health at four in the morning with to get medicine advice?  I mean I'm taking cogentin, it should be stopping things like this and it was working fine after they reduced my dosage until just now when this started happening.  I also take Abilify.  My cheeks feel like they are starting to want to tense up with it sometimes as well.
Talk to your doctor. I think I had twitching from Abilify. Maybe the combination of drugs are causing it?
Also check your magnesium levels low magnesium can cause twitching as well.
Yes since Cogentin is used to treat temporary movement disorders it would make sense that if it was lowered that they would return. You should discuss that with them and ask why they lowered the dose and if there was a reason as there are other side effect pills as well that are used in the same manner.
We lowered the dose because it was having the exact opposite effect of making me have increased tics and spasms and stuff.
That might be of concern as Cogentin should help and not worsen things (it is usually helpful on temporary movement disorders but can worsen permanent movement disorders but only a doctor would understand the specifics of this in full). They should do an evaluation for the potential of permanent movement disorders which generally they should do at reasonable intervals as they did with me (and other people I know). See if the movements come and go during the day as the blood level of the medication lowers or if they remain the same all day and discuss this with them. Regardless they should be aware of what's happening so they can check up and see whether the movements are the standard temporary movement disorders or anything of concern in which case they would refer you to a neurologist who is a movement disorders specialist but they would be able to make that decision.
Do you think it could be worsening the movement disorders I already had present before I took it?  I always had these tics and spasms and jerks and tremors and sometimes fluid motions where for example my neck will twist for a few seconds.  My barbers back when I got my hair cut would always complain about how I wouldn't sit still but I couldn't.
It would depend on whether they are short term or long term movement disorders and it would be best to discuss this with your psychiatrist and have them do a movement disorders test which would be the standard AIMS (abnormal involuntary movement test) and decide what would be the appropriate follow up from there.