Bipolar Disorder Community
Waking Up

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Waking Up

I was just wondering if anyone else had the same problem I do.  I have a terrible time getting up in the mornings.  I often sleep until noon or later.  When I do get up early, I feel awful.  Tired, sleepy, my stomach gets upset....

I have had a sleep study but they couldn't find anything wrong.  I know I am in a mild depression right now, but I have had this problem my whole life, even when I am manic!

Also, no matter how late I sleep during the day I am ready to go to be at about 9 or 10 pm.

Does anyone have any advice?
As much as I'm sorry that you are going through this, I also want to give you a big hug and say "thank goodness I'm not alone".  

Since the clocks changed I've not been getting up before 10am, I can easily go back to sleep for 2 to 3 hours in the afternoon and still go to bed and sleep at 11pm.  

If I get up earlier for an appointment or something then I a feel shattered by about 11am.

The only difference to you is that when I'm manic I don't sleep so much, I wake early, I don't nap in the day and I go to bed really late.

I've been like it all my life and have asked on here before whether I'm the only one who is so tired all the time.  It's a standing joke in my family that I could fall asleep standing up.  Trouble is I just don't find it funny.  I eat well, I take vitamins etc, nothing makes any difference.
Me too. I feel very self conscious and defensive about it. For me, I know, it's simply because I hate so much of my life that I'd rather miss it.
Sometimes thats it exactly Leta.  Other times it's not that at all.  I sleep as an avoidance technique but then when I do want to do stuff I'm so tired I sleep!!!
Sounds like you do have this symptom to a greater degree than I do. It's kinda hard to tell. I never want to do just about ANYTHING anymore so I don't see what it's keeping from accomplishing.
I'm glad to know I am not the only one.  I just got up (at 3:00 pm) and I feel like going back to bed!  How do I deal with this?  Is there anything that can make it better?  I'm tired of sleeping all the time!!!
It's very simple really and I'm sure you all actually know the answers... Though I remember how hard it was in practice. Write out a realistic routine for your day e.g. Go to bed at 10pm and get up at 8am. Also plan meals. Right the difficult part is perseverance. The first few nights you'll be lying in bed thinki
Oops. I'll continue.... Thinking what's the point. It takes your body time to adjust... Just stick to it properly! Next add more plans to your day... I'd recommend exercise. Do something you remember you once enjoyed. Take regular meals and just generally treat yourself in the way you'd recommend a close friend to treat themselves. If you do this you'll gradually climb out of your hole... Just remember one step at a time. Take too many too fast and you'll trip and just go back to the start; back to your present.
you said
but I have had this problem my whole life, even when I am manic!
this couldn't be true. When in mania you sleep less eat more and is more energetic.

your case is very simple it's a very mild depression. I ADVISE you NOT to take any antidepressants. What you are passing through is simply a symptom of BP i.e. heavy fluctuation in the dopamine. From your post i feel you are not very depressed i.e. just your mood is a bit low. But in order to be really depressed both your mood and energy must be really low.

In your case, which I actually passed through many times I advise you to take vitamin B complex something combining B1 , B6 , B12 for only a few days (depending on the dose) just one pill daily then cut it, or a pill every other day. B6 will elevate your mood. You can add B3 niacin that helps in weakness.

I took a brand called neurobion
        Vitamin B1         100 mg
   Vitamin B6         200 mg
   Vitamin B12         200 micrograms

sure at where you are there are many brands. Just try it but not for long because you can get manic due to large dose i.e. on and off and watch your mood and energy
Please talk. to your pdoc.  No one on this forum is educated to tell you what meds to take, be it vitamins or antidepressants.
Yes.  First 3 AM is when the liver is detoxing.  You can do many things to ease detox, this involves making small changes to the way you eat.  Create good elimination, etc.  There is a great deal of info out there on detoxing your colon, liver, and gall bladder.  Make sure you get good information and proceed slowly.  It is best to do it with the guidance of a well trained chiropractor.
The next thing is to find a good chiropractor that does saliva testing for nuero-transmitters and hormone balance.  I have great success at night with Kavinace a formula with contains GABA.  Just plain GABA from a health food store can really assist with sleep without all the side effects.  Also supplement with a liquid magnesium, calcium blend before bed.