Wellbutrin to 5-HTP
I am taking 300mg of Wellbutrin after being on Zoloft for months (bad side effects there).  While Zoloft helped with my irritability, I could not handle the exhaustion or weight gain.  Wellbutrin has not helped with anything except the low-energy level (that is great now).  I am so mean I can't stand myself and I havem't lost any weight (even gained a few more pounds).

So a friend said her doc suggested 5-HTP.  I bought some, but I need to know if I can take it along with my 300 mg of Wellbutrin.  I am thinking of getting off Wellbutrin altogether but am not ready to start the weaning-off process without some alternative.

Any advice or info on 5-HTP and Wellbutrin together would be a tremendous help. Thanks so much!
UM, i would NOT take them together.  You could end up with seretonin syndrome which is a very horrible thing.

i had the start of ss once and i was so out of it i just sat in a chair and vomited.  It was really a bad thing.

I guess if you wanted to try it you could watch for signs of ss....google it.  I would ask your doc though.  

I just read a story about someone who took fish oil (omega 3's) with an antidepressant and got ss.

-angi
Um, you can take them both together.  The reason why is because Wellbutrin works completely on dopamine and norepinephrine (sorry for the spelling) and Zoloft works on serotonin.  Wellbutrin is very commonly used as add-on when people don't respond well to SSRI's.
Does any one know the differance between Wellbutrin sr or er?
I have no experience with this but founf this on the internet:

In 1996, the FDA approved sustained-release bupropion (bupropion SR) as an alternative to bupropion IR. Bupropion SR allowed for more convenient twice daily dosing and reduced seizure incidence rates to 0.1%.9,10 Published reports, however, warn that this long-acting formulation might prolong neurologic toxicity—including seizures in overdose.11

Seven years later, in 2003, the FDA approved extended-release bupropion (bupropion ER) as a new, once daily substitute for bupropion IR and SR. Bupropion ER was never formally evaluated for seizures during premarketing clinical trials,12 and there have been no previously published cases of seizures in patients on the newer ER formulation. The current case reports an incident of two bupropion ER–induced seizures 8 hours apart in the same patient.

You may want to start a new thread by Posting A Question.  It would make it more visible.  Although responses come a little late at times the do come.....Good Luck
Welllbutrin SR is a sustained release version.  For some people the SR causes difficulties sleeping.  I take Wellbutrin XL and supplement it with 5htp.  Wellbutrin does not work on serotonin, while HTP will help with serotonin.  

After being prescribed other antidepressants which caused a lot of weight gain-I will not take anything else but wellbutrin.  The distress that the weight gain caused is more distressing than anything else to me.  It is very difficult to lose weight gained from antidepressant and antipsychotic drugs.