Bipolar Disorder Community
What are the chances of our child being born with these disorders?

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

An adoption agency called us today and presented my husband and I with  a possible adoption opportunity. But here's the thing. They have a list of issues that run in their family that makes me quite nervous. here is the following issues:
1. Intermediate explosive disorder (mostly in the men in her family)
2. the birth-father is Bi-polar
3. schizophrenia runs in the family.

What are the chances of this baby developing these disorders?  Is it possible for the baby not to get these mental disorders and live a normal life?  I am scared because I don't know much about these disorders and unsure what to do...hope to get some advise soon.

This has some information for schizophrenia:
http://************.com/lib/2006/do-people-inherit-schizophrenia/
This has some information as regards bipolar:
http://bipolar.about.com/od/pregnancy/f/inherit_bipolar.htm
Intermittent explosive disorder is complex. I am not sure
if they have figured out the genetics of that one.
There are also sites that have specific clinical studies as scientific information advances on a regular basis but that information is best discussed with a psychiatrist.
  I would say as a person with schizoaffective disorder and a parent who has bipolar that my life, their life and the lives of the people in my family who had a psychiatric disability as long as they followed up with treatment when a psychiatrist stated it was needed have been worthwhile and although its a valid concern to inquire about I believe it still worthwhile to adapt. NAMI might have some specific information as well.
I have Bipolar disorder with psychotic features so they tell me. Although my dad had it, I got it but i am the only person out of all his 5 daughters. My dad has a hard time dealing with the idea he pasted it down to me, and i know its really hard for the person with mental illness and the family as well but sometimes its a gift, i have a different way at looking at things i am extremely creative and although i dropped out of school and left home at 15 i managed to come back and learn to be a film maker and artist. If you learn about these mental disorders and learn the early signs and get her help as soon as i think you could have a remarkable child, ( just look at all the most amazing people in the world have had mental health issues)  but i guess you wouldn't know until it happens, though i could say you would have that even with your own child. I am not sure if you will ever find what appears to be the  perfect baby when adopting as a lot of them have parents with problems, do your best, love the child and that's all you can do, its all any parent can do.

best of luck freddie
These are disorders that have a genetic link but the child doesnt always develop it,love,a healthy nurturing enviroment can do a lot to minimize problems. There is also a vast spectrum here,these disorders can be extreme and debilitating or relatively mild. I wouldnt tell you what to do,you need to decide if you can give this child what it needs,mostly love but if it does develop a disorder like you mentioned they might need a bit more care then other children. I guess you have to be prepared to take that on....Lily
From what I recall, although don't quote me on it, I believe if one parent has a serious mental health disorder there is a 1 in 4 chance, if 2 parents have a disorder it is a 1 in 2 chance.. given the fact that there are multiple disorders in the family the risks might be higher. The positive thing here is that this a baby, not an older child, you can start afresh and nuture.. a lot of us with mental health issues find that our problems were activated by some event in childhood or teenage years.. some of us learned behaviour from our unwell parents.. these are factors you could change forever and maybe stop history repeating, its a huge challenge, no doubt about that but it can be done..
Good luck!