Bipolar Disorder Community
What do you do?

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

What do you do?

What do you do to keep a good relationship with your psychiatrist?
With issues the essential thing is to respect boundaries. I have always discussed (even when I was on standard medication) the idea of starting new medications as soon as they became available but my psychiatrist was the one to make the decision and who had the specific clinical knowledge as to why a specific medication might or might not be appropriate. I also have to remember that as there is a limited space on my psychiatrist's voice mail to keep phone messages short. And also to remember to call only when needed and only to page my psychiatrist if it is an actual emergency (that has not occurred in a long time). As well I have to remember myself that he has many other patients to help some of whom may need more follow up than myself and that I need to know everyone has equal priority as regards the time allocated.
  Also on a different note I always tell my psychiatrist the truth about what is going on in my life, mentally and otherwise. Although there are some things I would not discuss with anyone else or even post here I tell my psychiatrist everything but I have learned (for myself) to speak to my psychiatrist in a calm level headed manner as in the past the "venting" did just sounded like a rant and burned them out. I have seen the same psychiatrist for 14 years and had some difficulties with previous ones and I was the one who chose this specific psychiatrist so that can be part of it as well.
Having been brought up in a culture where I was taught to be in awe of teachers, ministers, and doctors, I still find it difficult on occasion to have an adult relationship with my pdoc.  (I tend to be overly deferential and often fail to set him straight where that appears called for.)

What I strive for is an adult-to-adult conversation which includes my right to calmly and rationally disagree with the man.  Unfortunately, I often chicken out for fear of offending him.

So thank you for your post.  It has made me more conscious of the fact that I need to ratchet up my courage and speak my mind.  
All I do with my psychologist is just trust him cause I know he wants to help me. I'll be honest, I don't tell him EVERYTHING, but I definately tell him all the important things. I hope this helps somewhat. :)
i had a great relationship with my previous psychiartist, i am female and found it easier to confide in her. Now i have a male psychiatrist i find it hard to talk to him and feel he doesnt have a real insight into the female psyche.i havent told him this i dont want to offend him. i dont know what to do ,i am on public health and so cant choose a psychiatrist.
I wish I had the answer! unfortunately I thought my all problems were over during the last hypomania - (rose coloured spectacles!), and I told him I diddn't see the point in seeing him again as I was cured and everything was fantastic. Now my CPN tells me unless I have an absolute crisis I'm not seeing him :-( and so I have to revert to my GP for advice.
How horrible of the CPN to say that to you. What you did is part of your illness. I would push the CPN and see if you can't get an appointment. Can your GP refer you back? The lack of understanding in the mental health community sometimes is baffling.
Until now I just took the advice of the CPN but now I might just ask the GP. I originally believed that you could see pdocs inbetween these events to discuss medication and so forth until I was told by the same CPN that this isn't the case. However I spoke to another person with bipolar last week and they said that it IS normal to see their pdoc every 3 months even if they werent in complete crisis - but then they go private so I guess it all goes back to resources. I guess there's no harm me in trying for a referral again! Thanksx